Mid to small sized SUV under 18k?

Im a 15 year old guy. I want an suv. Good ones?

Favorite Answer

If you are looking for a first car I wouldn't reccmmend an SUV or truck because they tend to flip. But if you are determined to get an SUV, I would reccmmend the Honda CR-X (our neighbor has one and we had to borrow it once and we liked it. Roomy and sporty) and we own a 2006 ford escape. We love our escape, great room four our entire family including pets, AWD, cheap to maintain, very nice and reliable, good on gas. My grandma has a 2008 or 2009 ford escape and I like it much more. It was redesigned and better on gas. I highly recommend the ford escape. If you change your mind, here are some tips on what to look for in a used car, and I wrote this for another question, so some parts of the answer may not apply. Here's what to look for:

This might be a long answer, so hold on. What to look for in a teen car: you want to look for cars with good reliability ratings. Hondas and toyotas are very well known for this, going on for multiple millions of miles. Honda civics and accords are also good for if you cant afford routine maintenance (though I highly recommend it) because their engines are built so well that they just don't need it. 

When you're a teen, you will want to drive fast, so make sure you get something that doesn't have too much power so you don't crash and kill yourself. That said, you also have to make sure the car you invest in is a very safe car, with at least 4 1/2 stars combined safety ratings. You can find safety ratings on iihs.org or safercar.gov. You will also want to find a car that is above 3500 pounds, so if you get in a serious wreck, you stand a chance against large SUVs or trucks. 

You also want something that you feel like you , could drive everyday. You have to look at the litttle things, like if the seat is comfortable, if you like the way the dashboard looks. You also want to have something that has a big enough trunk space to hold groceries, sports equipment, luggage, everything I listed above, dead bodies, etc. (joking about the dead bodies thing).

You also want to find good MPG (miles per gallon) or cars that are good on gas. A good mark would be at least 25 MPG or above, but it's OK if it's less. As for where you buy it, I strongly recommend an authorized dealer (look at the name brand, and find dealerships under that name brand near you, as they will have the most of that car) or Craigslist. But if you're looking on Craigslist, make sure it's not some sketchy, random person selling their piece of crap car for way too much. And under 100k is your safest bet for how many miles. 

I've done extensive research, and have concluded that the best cars for teens would be the Honda Accord, as new as possible. This is because it is a Honda, and will last forever, very safe, easy to get parts because of how popular the car is, and good on gas, but still large enough for you and your friends. Other cars that are also by good for teens include the Toyota Camry, Honda civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus, Ford Taurus (also badged for two or three years as the Ford Five Hundred), Subaru Impreza, Mazda 3, Hyundai Elantra, Volvo s60 or s80, Volkswagen Jetta, Hyundai Sonata, and the Toyota Prius. Those are the first few that come to mind, and I recommend searching these terms: "best first cars for teens" if you don't like my recommendations. Stay away from SUVs or trucks because they have a tendency of flipping. 

You can look at all of the above (safety, reliability, fair price, etc) at consumerreports.com and to look at reviews, and fair price, I would go to KBB.com. Those two websites are the most trusted and reliable sources for info on cars. 

Sorry if this was long, and how I jump around so much from subject to subject. And you can trust me on this, I have done very extensive research, and have been saving up for a car since I was 10. I know it's hard to believe, but I am only 13. But I am a car nut. But please don't think that all of my recommendations are not valid because of my age. I have spent countless hours doing research all over the Internet and in used car dealer magazinges. Hope this helped! 

Oh and one last thing, I would recommend spending as much as KBB says is fair price, if not less. Depending on the car, a quality used vehicle for a teen should range from $6,000 and up. You may think that is a lot, but this is a very large investment, and you want it to last! Which is why I recommend the Honda Accord for the best first car. And because this investment is so large, I recommend routine scheduled maintenance to make the car look and run as smooth and as long as possible. Hope I helped a bit!

Source(s): Extensive research