Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 7 years ago

Teens: How much has your music taste "evolved" in the past three years?

Sometimes I wonder how people can like the same exact music for three years long... my music taste seems to change annually, even though I still enjoy stuff from previous years it grows old to me.

Well, here's my story, if anyone is interested.

Sixth grade: I was a huge fan of Taylor Swift and everything Taylor Swift, she was like, my role model. I loved her music and owned all three of her albums. I still respect her music, although it's no longer my cup of tea. I also listened to Green Day and Boyslikegirls and thought I was so badass while listening to them... *facepalms at myself.

Seventh Grade: I was a huge Fall Out Boy fangirl, except not really over the hotness of Pete Wentz, more like Patrick Stump and their music. I bought their last three albums, and knew the lyrics to nearly every song, I also tried watching each of the interviews I could find on YouTube. I also listened to Panic! at the Disco, My Chemical Romance, and all of those related bands,

Eighth Grade: I became a symphonic metal fan, and I obsessed over Nightwish. I was pretty knowledgeable about them. I also listened to other symphonic metal stuff. There were also phases where I fancied Avenged Sevenfold, The Offspring, and Epica. I pretty much enjoy all of those bands but I'm trying to expand my horizons on metal music.

Panda: Go ahead.

• Best Answer

Sixth Grade: I liked The Plain White Tee's, Fall Out Boy, Justin Timberlake, The All American Rejects, Kanye West, and Panic! At The Disco.

Seventh Grade: I liked The Killers, Taking Back Sunday, Weezer, Silversun Pickups, and Modest Mouse.

Eight Grade: I liked The Hollywood Undead, The Offspring, Rise Against, Green Day, Paramore, All That Remains, Nirvana, Pennywise, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink-182, but mainly it was The Hollywood Undead. <---- Obsession.

Ninth Grade: I liked The Strokes, Avenged Sevenfold, Blink-182, Metallica, Weezer, Soundgarden, Nirvana, The Hollywood Undead, Broken Bells, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dan Black, and Pearl Jam.

Tenth Grade: Let's see, Julian Casablancas, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Strokes, Avenged Sevenfold, Chevelle, Owl City, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Pennywise, Rancid, Blink-182, The Clash, and System of a Down.

11th grade: The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Zombies, The Smashing Pumpkins, Rise Against, Dave Matthews Band, Donovan, Jimi Hendrix, MGMT, Pink Floyd, My Chemical Romance, Death Cab For Cutie, The Clash, Rancid, Jefferson Airplane, fun, Green Day, Sir Elton John, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Fratellis, and The Arctic Monkeys.

You can see how my taste in music has changed over the years. There's certain bands that stick with me throughout the years though :)

• Δ

From fifth to sixth I just settled for whatever was on the radio.

Starting in the seventh grade I began listening to artists of many different genres. Up until this year I have only expanded my music collection and taste. I do go through phases where I listen to a certain genre or artist more though. Currently I'm listening to 70's/80's rock non-stop. Before this I was really into Coldplay.

Throughout the past few years, my music tastes have revolved around the rock, heavy metal and alternative genres. I was never really "guided" towards these genres but instead was naturally drawn towards them.

Source(s): i shall be in the 11th grade.

Well, when I was thirteen I did not listen to any music at all, same for 14 to. I think you guys should know why by now.

This is where the story gets interesting. I turned 15 (got an new external speech processor to, around that time), earned some money and brought a laptop. I got my sisters old play list, not very many songs since she switched to iTunes by the time she was in Grade 9. It had AC/DC, two My Chemical Romance songs, the whole Green Day American Idiot album, and some Bon Jovi. That is where the seeds were planted. I found the special wire for my ear and plugged it in. I became OBSESSED with Green Day. By the end of October I basically heard every single of their songs, leaned how to understand Billie Joe's Armstrong's voice and that whole shin ding. I mean, when I started I could not even understand what MCR was saying during the song Teenagers. It took me a whole night to learn to recognize Gerard's voice to. As the year went on I developed a broader spectrum of musical tastes, going from 100 songs, to 200 songs to now almost 700 songs on my play list. I can process, music very well now. Now it went Green Day, My Chemical Romance, now I am leaning towards classic rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. I felt as if I crammed basically 3 years worth of music into one whole year. It saved me from Grade 10.

When I was in elementary school I thought the only songs that existed were on the radio so I just listened to whatever was on there. When I was in middle school I didn't like music at all. I tried to get into "gothic" music but never did.

After high school I've always been into indie rock, metal, punk, and just about anything with a sound and lyrics that I like pretty much. My favorite bands right now are the Offspring and A Day to Remember.

I would say my music taste has matured.

Three years ago I was going into freshman year. I still mostly listened to pop-punk/alt-pop, etc. My favorite bands were All Time Low, Paramore, Metro Station... stuff like that. Over freshman year, I started liking more indie stuff. I discovered Two Door Cinema Club and they became my favorite band, and I also started to buy a few songs from Keane, Vampire Weekend, and Phoenix.

The summer before my sophomore year was when I started really transitioning to indie rock and similar stuff. I rediscovered the Killers, and came across other bands like Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, and the Bravery. And I bought full albums by some of the bands I had started liking a little earlier, like Phoenix and Vampire Weekend.

Sophomore year I had basically switched over to indie rock-type stuff. I started buying physical CD's instead of iTunes CD's, and I really broadened my horizons. I found probably a couple dozen new bands that I really liked that year... the Temper Trap, the Wombats, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, the Vaccines, the Strokes... things like that. I had also never really talked about music a lot before then... usually my friends didn't like the same stuff as me, or I figured they didn't. But then sophomore year I started getting closer to one of my older friends again, and it turned out we loved a lot of the same music. I discovered a lot of my other friends liked similar stuff too, or they were at least open to new stuff and actually started to like a lot of my stuff (and it also helped that I was the first to get my license, so they heard my music in the car all the time...)

I found some more new stuff the summer after sophomore year (last summer), but stuck to the same type of music. I started going to a lot more concerts though.

This past year, my junior year, I basically just found more bands. I think some of the music I discovered this past year was a little more pop-y or electronic than some of the stuff I previously liked, but overall, it's nothing too different. My current favorite bands are all the ones I listed that I found during my sophomore year.

Fifth grade: I listened to Radio Disney a lot. Due to this I ended up liking Taylor Swift, The Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana, and Justin Bieber. I didn't know there were other radio stations at the time or even different types of music that didn't play on Radio Disney. I remember being into Check Yes Juliet by We The Kings. It came on my Radio Disney CD.

Sixth grade: Sixth grade was a weird year for me. I tried to fit in and be 'cool'. This made me listen to only mainstream music and rap. I have loved rock/soft rock since I was a little kid. During this time however, I told everyone I hated it. Then I went to brood in the corner while listening to Eminem. So basically I was really into rap and anything mainstream.

Seventh grade: I started to broaden my music tastes. For a while, I swore off mainstream music and criticized anyone who liked it (much to my friends' annoyance). A few months after I started seventh grade I realized how annoying that was and stopped. I mainly listened to alternative bands (with some Queen mixed in) such as MCR, OneRepublic and Panic! At The Disco.

This summer: Right now I listen to whatever I want to. My music taste consists of old music, rock, alternative, rap, pop, and Chameleon Circuit (no idea what this is classified as). On my Youtube playlist I have Foo Fighters, Chameleon Circuit, OneRepublic, Kansas (I love Carry On My Wayward Son), and Grouplove (Tongue Tied is my favorite song at the moment).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks! I'll ask it tomorrow, I'm too lazy right now lol

In sixth grade I didn't listen to music because I didn't have my own mp3, ipod, or CD player. Then I won an mp3 but I didn't put much on there haha.

In seventh-eighth grade I was introduced to Skillet, R3D, and A few other bands.

Now I like Avenged Sevenfold, Pop Evil, Within Temptation, Tokio Hotel, Across the Sun, Outline In Color, and many bands like those. I still don't listen to a lot of music but I'm getting more into it since I play violin and I'm taking guitar this upcoming year.

Source(s): I'm a freshman now

about 5-6 times

I was a fan of Taylor Swift as well and then I found Paramore been my fav band for three years now I have an off and on liking to Lily Allen Then there was a time when MCR was my fave band for a bit then came Evermore which I stopped liking and now I'm back to liking it again. then I went off MCR and on to Katy Perry of which I still like. Then a few monthes ago went back to My chemical romance and then I started liking eminem but got sick of him though I still think he's the best rapper ever cuz he's the only rapper I can listen to. Then myt friend got me hooked on vocaloid which is a Japanese band (Yeah, I no.) Then I started to fall in love with Evanescence still love them

Let's see...

Grade 6: I didn't listen to much actual music. I listened mostly to video game soundtracks.

Grade 7: Here, I discovered most of the bands/artists that I'm still a fan of today. (Rush, Daft Punk, Cake, deadmau5, Frost, Wiley)

Last Summer: I started to broaden my musical tastes a tiny bit while still listening to most of the stuff I discovered in Grade 7. (Alabama 3, New Order, Queen)

Grade 8: I gradually stopped listening to some of those artists I mentioned above (Frost, Alabama 3, New Order), and developed a small passion for TV show soundtracks.

This Summer: A friend of mine accidentally helped me rediscover New Order, which I hadn't listened to for about half a year, I rediscovered Alabama 3 on my own, which I also hadn't listened to for about half a year, and I now have a slight obsession with Rush. Also, I'm beginning to get into the Drum & Bass genre due to my discovery of Chase & Status.

-----

@Florence Welch Cherry- Cake is awesome! Don't ever stop listening to them!