Should we get the boat or the camper/RV?

my friend and I are looking into buying either a boat (not a speed boat or yacht, just something big enough for us and whoever we wanna take with us, the kind with a nice deck/dock on it so we can drop anchor and jump in where and whenever we desire) or a RV, b/c we wanna travel, and we figure with either one we can discover lots of cool new things, which would yoU suggest is the better option for two 20-somethings looking for adventure?? sorry I can't find any pictures to better describe the boat I'm talking about, but do you guys have any general idea's/price ranges??

Best Answer

Obviously, one would think that people on Boats & Boating would suggest you get a boat.

The people on RVs & RVing would suggest you get an RV. . .

But to set the record straight - if indeed, it is "adventure and travel" you want, for sure - get a boat. . .

Check out this link:

http://captainjohn.org/

The link above will show you where and how you can take your boat on a 24,000 plus mile "adventure" through more than 30 States in the United States, and another 6, 000 miles if you are inclined to adventure into Canada - all that - without having to take your boat out of the water, and without ever having to take it into the ocean.

Known as "the Great Loop" you can boat over 5,400 miles and end up where you began, without ever having to make a "U-turn". Furthermore, you can take any of the "side-trips" you want that make up the additional 24,000 plus the 6,000 miles mentioned above.

I live on my boat, and I do this on a full-time basis. I cover about 9,000 miles a year (I take my good ole easy time) and (as an experiment) I am currently doing it in a live a-board boat. I also average less then $16.00 in fuel (today's prices) for a full dawn to dusk day of cruising. You certainly can not come near matching this, in an RV - but like an RV, my boat has all the comforts of home. (In fact, it is my home on the water.)

The details of what I do, where I go, and how I do it, are at the above link.

PS.

I also used to have an RV - and believe me - at the cost of gas today - you would be much better off getting a Mazda Miata and staying in a motel every night. In a decent size small RV you will burn $200 -$300 a day in gas easy - and you can't even fish along the way.

The boat is usually used in the summer months unless your a fisherman or enjoy cruising around. They are a lot of fun but many people will tell you that the best day of a boater's life is when he purchase's it and then when he sell's it. I how ever love to go boating.

RV's can be used anytime and any place except in the snow or icy area's it can be tricky. If you enjoy traveling and camping in the parks , go with the RV.

Both are a lot of fun either way.

Source(s): RV owner, Boat owner.

I have executed this sure there's a lot to do they offer you a entire booklet on the things you can do in the whole camp floor. Meals, yes there may be one factor Disney has down meals areas but isn't that great, most humans stop and buy what they need at nearby grocery store.I would go when its bloodless you are going to benefit from the campfires at night time better

• JetDoc

How often are you actually going to use it? My experience with boats is they rapidly become too much work and too expensive to maintain. Unless you live somewhere where you can have it in the water and ready to go any time you want, it gets really old dragging the stupid thing on and off the trailer.

If you want to travel around the country, a medium sized RV or travel trailer would be a lot more practical. If you visit a resort area or big lake, you can usually rent a boat when you want one, and you won't have to deal with it when you don't need it.

If you want to travel get the RV. You would be very limited as to where you could travel in a boat and the amount of fuel you would go through would be phenomenal.

You should get an RV although you may not like paying the price of fuel!!!!

Do you want to travel on land or water?

BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!