Does anyone have something called Essential Tremor?

How do you cope?

Favorite Answer

'Essential tremor (ET) is a nerve disorder characterized by uncontrollable shaking, or "tremors," in different parts and on different sides of the body. Areas affected often include the hands, arms, head, larynx (voice box), tongue, and chin. Rarely, the lower body is affected.' (Web MD 20011)

Just for your answerers who don't know....I have seen this type of tremor before in people who have just come out of a trauma-induced state of shock. That probably means the same area of the brain is getting some neural activity, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for information though, lovely lady!

• kara

My dad too has or had most important tremor.. It used to be to the point that he would need to put on a bib when he ate..And mom would have to aid him signal is identify..Dad had triple pass and used to be on so many drug treatments that the medical professionals couldn`t say for definite what made his tremors weaken.. However i feel i do remember mirapex was one of the crucial medications.. He did not have Parkinson's..It`s worth a are trying (the mirapex) what can it hurt ask the doc.. Again..

• Chris

Sure. I have ET plus a dystonia of writers cramp. I take two prescriptions and I still shake. I teach collage and just adjust. If I shake too bad, one of my students will volunteer to carry my books, but usually I can manage. I can't write (that's the writers cramp -- I have the back of my arm paralyzed with Botox twice a year). The college always gives me the classroom nearest my office. I can still type and I have learned to adjust. I drop things, and I shake but who cares? I can't handle the key card at work so they gave me an actual key. My neurologist keeps mentioning brain surgery but I would rather shake.

Hi, No, but I wonder if it's anything like Parkinsons? My gramps developed that late in his life.