Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 6

Do you think that your devotion to the God of your understanding is enhanced by an article of clothing?Why or?

Many religions seem to embrace this idea in different forms- The Jews with yarmulke, the LDS garment, even the Catholic scapular.and the Sikh turban and of course the Muslim hijab.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Religion isn't going to be different from other aspects of life. We use clothing to influence our mental and emotional attitudes all the time - dressing for work, a date, sports. all sorts of things.

In Judaism, the practice is what matters rather than the object used. Covering the head is a physical articulation of the understanding that we are in the presence of the divine, expressing an abstract belief through observable, concrete means. All components of our experience work together to create a state, not just of mind but of body, where the balanced centeredness of prayer and meditation come naturally.

• Kerry
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Enhanced by the article of clothing itself? No. Enhanced by what is represented by the article of clothing and what was accomplished to acquire that article of clothing? definitely yes. The article of clothing represents an outer reminder of an inner commitment to God. How can that NOT help?

Source(s): Lifelong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

I don't know why it wouldn't enhance. My Grandfather was a railroad engineer and I still wear his ratty old (circa 1962) cap with the New York Central logo on it. It provides a connection, rarely a conscious one, but a connection all the same.

• 9 years ago

Yes. but not really a specific article but the kind of clothing and manner of wearing it enhances my understanding to the God I worship.

1Tim 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I think obedience to my God, in whatever He asks, enhances my relationship with Him. So yes.

And if you think God has never introduced the idea of religious clothing, we need to sit down and read the Bible together :)

• phrog
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

no. but maybe my memory is sometimes improved - or better - jogged.

the native americans pray and smudge. I love this thought - because they do it so that one can "see" their prayers being carried to God on the smoke. I don't really thin the smoke carries my prayers to God.....but the idea is there and the symbol - the visualization is there and it helps remind me that MY prayers....my insignificant prayers from insignificant me....can reach my God.

yea. reminders never hurt.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I say unto you, it is well that ye are cast out of your synagogues, that ye may be humble, and that ye may learn wisdom; for it is necessary that ye should learn wisdom; for it is because that ye are cast out, that ye are despised of your brethren because of your exceeding poverty, that ye are brought to a lowliness of heart; for ye are necessarily brought to be humble.

13 And now, because ye are compelled to be humble blessed are ye; for a man sometimes, if he is compelled to be humble, seeketh repentance; and now surely, whosoever repenteth shall find mercy; and he that findeth mercy and endureth to the end the same shall be saved.

• 9 years ago

Yes, my God requires me to wear a tin foil hat so I can hear his messages. I have to use Reynolds Wrap, not that generic cr@p or the messages get garbled and stuff.

• 9 years ago

My God of my understanding is irrelevant. My faith in God prevails.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.