?

Do you think that your devotion to the God of your understanding is enhanced by an article of clothing?Why or?

Many religions seem to embrace this idea in different forms- The Jews with yarmulke, the LDS garment, even the Catholic scapular.and the Sikh turban and of course the Muslim hijab.

• Favorite Answer

Religion isn't going to be different from other aspects of life. We use clothing to influence our mental and emotional attitudes all the time - dressing for work, a date, sports. all sorts of things.

In Judaism, the practice is what matters rather than the object used. Covering the head is a physical articulation of the understanding that we are in the presence of the divine, expressing an abstract belief through observable, concrete means. All components of our experience work together to create a state, not just of mind but of body, where the balanced centeredness of prayer and meditation come naturally.

• Kerry

Enhanced by the article of clothing itself? No. Enhanced by what is represented by the article of clothing and what was accomplished to acquire that article of clothing? definitely yes. The article of clothing represents an outer reminder of an inner commitment to God. How can that NOT help?

Source(s): Lifelong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I don't know why it wouldn't enhance. My Grandfather was a railroad engineer and I still wear his ratty old (circa 1962) cap with the New York Central logo on it. It provides a connection, rarely a conscious one, but a connection all the same.

Yes. but not really a specific article but the kind of clothing and manner of wearing it enhances my understanding to the God I worship.

1Tim 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

I think obedience to my God, in whatever He asks, enhances my relationship with Him. So yes.

And if you think God has never introduced the idea of religious clothing, we need to sit down and read the Bible together :)

• phrog

no. but maybe my memory is sometimes improved - or better - jogged.

the native americans pray and smudge. I love this thought - because they do it so that one can "see" their prayers being carried to God on the smoke. I don't really thin the smoke carries my prayers to God.....but the idea is there and the symbol - the visualization is there and it helps remind me that MY prayers....my insignificant prayers from insignificant me....can reach my God.

yea. reminders never hurt.

I say unto you, it is well that ye are cast out of your synagogues, that ye may be humble, and that ye may learn wisdom; for it is necessary that ye should learn wisdom; for it is because that ye are cast out, that ye are despised of your brethren because of your exceeding poverty, that ye are brought to a lowliness of heart; for ye are necessarily brought to be humble.

13 And now, because ye are compelled to be humble blessed are ye; for a man sometimes, if he is compelled to be humble, seeketh repentance; and now surely, whosoever repenteth shall find mercy; and he that findeth mercy and endureth to the end the same shall be saved.

Yes, my God requires me to wear a tin foil hat so I can hear his messages. I have to use Reynolds Wrap, not that generic cr@p or the messages get garbled and stuff.

My God of my understanding is irrelevant. My faith in God prevails.