Three way switch replacement question?

I'm trying to replace my old three way switches so I looked up information on how to do it online. I understand that I need to place the "hot" wire from each panel to the "common" connector in the switch. So, I went and purchased a "no touch voltage tester" to find out which wire... show more I'm trying to replace my old three way switches so I looked up information on how to do it online.
I understand that I need to place the "hot" wire from each panel to the "common" connector in the switch. So, I went and purchased a "no touch voltage tester" to find out which wire is the "hot wire".

I turned off the breaker, disconnected all three wires in each switch and turned the breaker back on.
In one switch, I found the "hot wire" however, in the other switch, I wasn't able to find the "hot wire".
The voltage tester I purchased will lit red when there is a live wire, but on this switch, none of the wires turned the red light on. So at this point, I got confused.

I tried connecting the wires back to its original position (with the old switch), but now only one switch is working at a time. I've done more research, and everybody is saying it's a wiring issue. But if I can't find a "hot wire", then what would be my next step?

Thanks in advance for your answer.