Nathan asked in SportsOlympics · 9 years ago

Why did Michael Johnson cheer on Mo Farah?

Just wondering because I have seen the video of all the presenters going crazy when he is on the home straight but it appears that Michael Johnson is also cheering for Mo when the American Rupp was also running

Favorite Answer

It seems as though Johnson has been working for the BBC forever. How many times would he have watched Farah race, knowing that it Farah he was going to have to talk about? Johnson will have a genuine sense of involvement in Farah.

I'm also not sure how you could tell he was cheering for Farah, Rupp, or (most likely) both.

*****

EDIT: Rebecka's right: Johnson is shouting 'go on, Galen' and 'go get'em, Galen'. I *think* it's 'go get'EM' rather than 'go get HIM'. I'm going with Johnson knew Farah had won, and was cheering Rupp into silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENVFQXlYmFw

Youtube thumbnail

It is because Mo Farah is in a league of his own, an incredible athlete that will be very hard to beat during the remainder of his competitive life. It takes a special breed of athlete to win an olympic gold so easily

People get caught up in moments. He was in Britain amongst British people routing for Mo. It's probably like a person with dual nationality. They can go either way if both their home country is competing against the chosen country they live in. It could also be that Mo was the favourite.

Maybe because mo trains in the u.s. with rupp. Or that he would be the first brit to win a global distance gold (i think)

actually while the rest of the commentry box was going crazy for mo farah, he was cheering for the american who came second!

• Josh

I think it is far more sensible to cheer someone based on their ability, the 'story' and their humbility, rather than the geographic location of birth. Saying that, that American guy did seem surprisingly kind and gracious.

Hiya, recollect about Ed McMahon. My guess for who could be subsequent would ought to be....Elizabeth Taylor. Michael's demise had to hit her pretty rough. WOW...I was wrong...Karl Malden died in these days at age ninety seven!!

because Mo was going for gold of course

He said in an interview, Americans are globalist.

And they want the best man to win....!

Give peace a chance.

Yeah.

• Salty

Because he had bet money on Mo to win.