Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

i am scared of sleepovers?

5 years ago my mum had a heart attack on a train and i was there i had a panic attack that lasted around 3 hours. 2 months later i was at my school concert and i had another panick attack i was too scared to do anything in public for around 2 years but now i can :). the only problem i have now is that if i go to stay at someones house i have a panic attack and i just cant do it so i avoid them at all cost, i wasnt too bothered at the time but it meant i couldnt go on school trips away and i cant even stay at my grandmas house which really upsets her and me!

i am going to kent for 3 days on a school trip and i really dont know what to do! i get really scared when i sleep but i dont know why im so scared! i have had councelling but i didnt work i know it sounds stupid to come and ask on something like this but any advice would be really appreciated! is there any medicine i could take to stop me being scared of sleeping!? (im 14)

thanks so much if you can help!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • drdr
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Irrational fear of an extreme nature that inhibits normal functioning (e.g., fear of clowns that creates anxiety that interferes with normal functions) is a phobia (with the specific name for a particular phobia being a secondary consideration that adds nothing to understanding). And, phobias presumably pre-date homo sapiens, and presumably extend to other mammals (like dogs panicking at thunder); therefore it may be "natural" (in that it occurs frequently in one form or another in a population) but is still a problem if it disrupts one’s life. You should recognize that you are not the only one having this type of problem. And, you alread know you need to change, which is the only way out.

Thinking differently means making different connections between neurons in the brain, which will eventually weaken or disconnect the previous neural connections that caused the problem. Apparently, your traumatic experiences have made connections that need to be overcome, as trauma is know to make a large number of connections that are long lasting.

Guided imagery is a common technique in improving athletic performance and in cancer treatment, among other things. It involves mentally picturing a specific image or goal and imagining oneself achieving that goal. Those with cancer are taught to imagine their bodies fighting cancer cells and athletes are taught to see themselves executing their sport with proper form. It could involve imagining the creation of new neural connections and weakening of old neural connections (or both). In this situation, you imagine yourself being calm and feeling safe. Start with a few deep breaths that you hold for a few seconds and let out slowly. You could also look up web sites that provide instructions on meditation, which will help to calm the body's stress reactions. And, such self-absorption may involve some level of depression.

Depression self-help: http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_teen_te...

Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the nonpharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality.

John W. Gardner

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.

Buddha

A man is but the product of his thoughts, what he thinks, he becomes.

Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

John Milton, Paradise Lost, Chapter 1 (1667)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

You need to keep exposing yourself to it and you will gradually become used to it. Do not avoid your fears but face up to them. This worked for me when I suffered from agrophobia.

Source(s): Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
  • 8 years ago

you need to be taking 1000s of ius of vitamin d3 a day and taking cold showers every night to circulate it through your body. Take 10,000 ius a day. Its cheap, and it cures everything.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.