How to inform Local Education Authority to be homeschooled?

I've already deregistered from my school, but I still have to inform the LEA (Local Education Authority) about it, but I don't really know how. I know that it's not necassary to do so, but it will help if I do. So my question for today is: HOW would I inform the LEA that I want to be homeschoolled? Like, do I just go and talk to them? Or do I send a letter to them? and how would I go about writing it?

Please can you answer as many questions as you can. I'll appreciate it very much if you could answer all of them.

Thanks in advance.


I live in the UK by the way.

3 Answers

  • Sara S
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    There is absolutely no need to do so. If you deregistered your child from a state school then the proprietor is legally required to inform the Local Authority so they will know anyway.

    If you took your child out of a private school then the school may or may not inform the LA. There is a good chance you will be better off if they don't.

    "It will be helpful if you inform the LA" is a line spun by Local Authorities, and sometimes picked up on by others such as journalists who have little experience of home education. There are a number of reasons why it might be preferable NOT to come to the attention of the LA. For example, some LAs have a prejudice against home education and put pressure on families to return their children to school or to follow a school-style education at home even if the families prefer other methods. It's true that a few families do benefit from their relationship with the LA.

    If this is not a subject you have explored yet, I suggest you join a national email list for home educating parents and ask about the pros and cons. In my opinion the critical point is that once you are known to the LA you cannot opt out (unless you move house); however, if you initially are unknown then you can always "opt in" and contact them later. So the safest thing to do in the first instance is hold off. Don't do anything hasty.

    Here are a few websites which have useful information about home education and also links to email lists you can join:

    I am sure you will find this information from other home educating parents more complete and legally accurate than anything you are likely to get from your Local Authority.

    I assume from your post that you are in England or Wales. In Scotland here is your first port of call: and in Northern Ireland

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    "HOW would I inform the LEA that I want to be homeschoolled?"

    You can't. Your parents or legal guardians have to do this.

    Same for your school - if _you_ sent a letter deregistering yourself, it's meaningless. Your parent or legal guardian has to do it.

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    If it's not necessary then don't do it. A big part of legal domination is that you volunteer to be a part of it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.