WDYT of the baby boy name Cohen?

I love the baby boy name Cohen! My husband and I think its adorable! What do you think of the name and are there any middle names you would suggest?

Also does anyone know the origin of it? Some say its gaelic and some say its hebrew...I'm not really sure.

By the way, someone has also told me that it could be offensive to Jewish people. Why is that?

Favorite Answer

I love the name Cohen. I know that it can be seen as offensive to some people and that it is a surname, but It's a guilty pleasure name of mine and I would never use it on an actual child. Plus, my son's name is Owen and I don't like rhyming names at all!

Cohen Alexander

Cohen James

Cohen Knox

Cohen Reid

Cohen Rhys

Cohen Joel

Cohen Julian

Cohen Caleb

Cohen Ethan

Cohen Andrew

Cohen Jonah

Cohen Jsoiah

Cohen Nathaniel

Cohen William

Those are just some middle names that I like for it! :)

Hope I helped :)

Cohen is the anglicized word for priest in Hebrew. Before Jewish people were expelled by the Romans, the kohanim (plural) were a special class which was believed to be chosen by God to preform priestly obligations of the highest importance. Yes, it is a name that not a lot of Jewish people will take on nicely, but usually people don't care about what a name might mean to other cultures and groups (example: Dakota and Cheyenne as given names).

I do like the name. It is short and cute, but it has potential to age well. However, for many people this isn't a regular "surname turns into name" situation. Coen, which sounds and looks the same as your idea, is a Dutch diminutive for Conrad. It is a legitimate name in the Netherlands and diffuses the cultural insensitivity from the name.

• I really like the name Cohen.

For middle names how about-

Cohen Bailey

Cohen Thomas

Cohen Jay

Cohen Alexander(my favourite!)

Cohen Edward

Cohen Samuel

• I think Cohen is cute

Mn:

Parker

Tate

Marcus

David

Jacob

Thomas

Christopher

Joshua

Michael

Mitchel

I have no clue where is comes from or why it would be offensive.. but I think it is absolutely adorable!!:)

I like Cohen Jeremiah, Cohen Bradley, Cohen Jacob, and Cohen Scott!

Awful...it's a Jewish surname that belongs to an ancient family of priests. It's extremely offensive to see uneducated non-Jews stealing it as just another trendy surname-as-first-name.

Some insular, short-sighted parents might think it's OK because they live in Hicksville, Alabama and have never met a real live Jewish person...but that DOESN'T mean their son will live in Hicksville all his life. Sooner or later he will encounter people who will be able to deduce from his name that he was raised by ignorant and/or insensitive parents, and judge him accordingly.

Some better ideas:

Calvin

Colin

Connor

Callum

Caleb

Conrad

Corbin

Cormac

Henry

Jude

Malachi

Ezekiel

Ezra

Isaiah

Josiah

Owen

Oliver

Oscar

Oberon

Heath

Everett

Source(s): Google!

Cohen is a boy's name It is Jewish and means "priest".

Source(s): Nickelodeon: Parents Connect

I think it's a very nice name.