6 months old out weighs car seat limits.?

Hello, my son is just over 6 months and and weighs a whopping 25lbs and is about 31 inches long. his car seat weight and height limits are, 22lbs and 29inch. So I know he's is supposed to be rear facing still , but what car seat do I use? And do they make rear facing ones for a 6mons old thats the size of a 1 year old?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You are correct- your child has outgrown their current car seat. In fact, your big guy needs one today. If you were to get in a crash with the child over the weight limit, the harness has the potential to rip from the shell, ejecting the child.

The next step for your child is a convertible car seat that is used in the rear facing position. Convertible car seats are 1st used rear facing and then after your child outgrows the rear facing portion of the seat, the seat is installed forward facing. Convertibles have higher rear facing weight limits, such that go up to 35, 40, and 45 lbs. I would get a convertible that goes up to 40 lbs to ensure that your child can rear face for as long as possible.

Here is how a rear facing car seat is outgrown; when ONE of the following happens:

-the child has hit the maximum rear facing weight limit of the seat

-the child's head is less than 1 inch away from the car seat's shell as shown in the link below: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=30201

Overall height limits does not determine when a child outgrows a car seat. Manufacuturers are forced by standards to put an overall height limit. One child who is 31" long may be proportioned differently than another child who is 31" long. This may mean that child A has a longer torso than child B. At one point, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended that children ride rear facing as long as their head was below the shell.

Here is my list of recommended convertible car seats:

-Graco My Ride 65 (40 lbs rear facing limit)

-Graco Size4Me 70 (40 lbs rear facing limit)

-Evenflo Symphony 65 e3 (40 lbs rear facing limit)

-Diono Radian R120/ RXT (45 lbs rear facing limit)

Most "3 in 1" car seats are a gimmick- car seat manufacuturer's advertise that this will be a your child's "last" seat, when in fact, children outgrow them quickly. Also, most "3 in 1" seats are outgrown quickly in harness mode and make a very poor booster seat. Here are the IIHS ratings on booster seats: http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/defau...

The only 3 in 1 car seat that I would recommend would be the Evenflo Symphony 65 e3. The Diono Radian R120/ RXT is also a "3 in 1" seat, but I still recommend it as children can ride rear facing longer. The Radian is an awesome harnessed car seat. In fact, booster mode for the Radian will be outgrown by the time harness mode is outgrown by height. This means that booster mode will be unusuable. You will need another booster seat after the child outgrows the Evenflo Symphony 65 e3 for a child to fit the seat belt properly.

Source(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULJ8Vx79Vv4 Above link: This video breaks up the steps of the AAP recommendations; I like this video because it is highly organized. The key part of the AAP recommendations is to not rush each step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE Above link: This video shows that it is possible to rear face kids to age 2 and longer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8 Above link: Joel at 18 months old and 33 lbs broke his neck while he was restrained in a front facing car seat.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Bobbi
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

OK, this is about the size of my 2 1/2 year old. Get a convertible seat like a First Years True Fit for long lasting rear facing till over age 2 or to the limits on the seat. Another great seat that will last is the Diono Radians. (those might only be found online). Do NOT get any 3-in-1 seat except for the Evenflo Symphony and the Graco SmartSeat. The others are garbage and probably will be outgrown in a month with a kid that big.

• 4 years ago

Its possible she's already to significant for it! Do you've gotten the manual? Look at it. Seem on the labels on the seat, its viable its printed there, as good. Current little one seats go to twenty-22lbs, with the Graco SafeSeat going to 30lbs. The child carrier is outgrown when both occurs: 1)there may be less than 1 inch of automobile seat above her head 2)she is at or over the weight restrict. You say you got a vehicle seat at present from 'any one'. Is it any person you would trust together with your daughter's existence? If no longer, trash it, b/c that's what you're doing utilizing a used car seat from any individual. Under no circumstances use a used automobile seat until 1)it comes from a depended on loved ones member or friend 2)it has never been in an accident three)it has in no way been dropped four)it has the entire common parts AND the guide 5)just isn't expired - automobile seats expire 6 years after the date of manufacture. The materials its product of start to break down and it will not hold as much as crash forces. If it says 20-40lbs, it isn't a convertible vehicle seat, it's a ahead going through most effective automobile seat, and your daughter can not use it but. Infants will have to keep rear facing as long as feasible! Turning them ahead dealing with at 1year/20lbs is old-fashioned recommendation that would rate you your child. The AAP says to maintain them rear going through to the bounds of a convertible car seat, ideally for the primary 2 years of lifestyles. All present convertible automobile seats rear face to at the least 30lbs, some to 33lbs or 35lbs. A ahead-facing youngster below 2 years old is 4 occasions extra more likely to be killed or significantly injured in a crash than a rear-going through youngster of the same age. A little one's vertabrae do not fully fuse except 3-6 years historical, earlier than then, she is at first-class hazard for internal decapitation. The spinal column can stretch as much as 2 inches in a crash however the spinal twine can simplest stretch up to 1/four inch earlier than it snaps and child is long gone. She desires to be in a rear going through convertible automobile seat unless she reaches the boundaries of it - as a minimum 30lbs.

• Marsha
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I also had to move my baby from a carrier car seat to a convertible seat that faces the rear at first, then the front later. We found a seat fairly inexpensive seat at Wal-mart that worked fine for us. By the way, your baby's length and weight sound proportional so don't let rude comments about his size get to you. My baby is also large and well-proportioned and I get sick of the snarky comments.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ellen
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Babies should be rear facing at least until they are 2. I'm quite sure that you can find a suitable car seat that is rear facing.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mothers' group leader 20+ years mom to 3
  • Rain
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

There's the convertible style from infant to toddler and becomes a booster seat when baby is old enough. There's a lot of brands that make this style.

• ok if your 6 month old out weighs a cars weight limit per seat then some one needs to go on a see food die- it

• 4Red
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Any convertible carseat and there are tons of those to choose from. You can find them anywhere they sell baby items.

• 8 years ago

they do sell 3in1 carseat that are very adjustable. i think your best bet will be to talk to your pediatrition for advice.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.