I need help with American history?

Scenario #2

Shapiro

v.

Thompson

hompson and her children had been denied state public assistance (welfare) following her move to Connecticut because of a one-year residency requirement. She brought suit against Shapiro, the Welfare Commissioner, in District court. Thompson claimed that the residency requirement impeded her "right to travel," a precedent which was established in the Supreme Court case U.S. v. Guest. She also claimed that this residency requirement was a violation of her rights under the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.

need help with these questions-

Legal question: This is the question the judge must ask himself or herself to determine if the right has been violated; for example, has the State of Florida violated the defendants' 14th Amendment guarantee to equal protection under the law?

The decision: this is the answer to the legal question described above.

The rationale: This is a minimum of one-paragraph explanation of the decision. In the rationale, you must cite specific facts which support your decision, including reference to how the 14th Amendment applies.

Best Answer

I'm not very great at Supreme Court Cases but i do know where you can get some reliable ideas. Go to oyez.org and it has your supreme court case. Shapiro v. Thompson. In the Shapiro vs. Thompson case 6/9 supreme court justices voted for Thompson, because "CT failed to advance any compelling administrative or social reasons for their requirements. The goal of simply preventing indigents from moving to these states was constitutionally impermissible, argued Justice Brennan, given the value the United States has historically placed on the freedom to travel" [oyez.org] I hope this kinda helps i am no lawyer or attorney. But this website helped me for my U.S. Government class when i was in High school. :D

Source(s): oyez.org http://www.oyez.org/cases/1960-1969/1967/1967_9/ <---Shapiro v. Thompson case http://www.oyez.org/cases/1960-1969/1965/1965_65/#... <----U.S. v. Guest [Just in case you need it] :)
  • tuffy

Asking a question that only a Constitutional scholar could answer is expecting quite a bit from answers that have only a limited knowledge of Constitutional Law. However, if it is a "gotcha question," then you won.

This doesn't sound at all like a History question; it sounds like a legal question, for which there is a specific category on YA. I suggest you repost it there.