Can I keep a loaded handgun in my home?

I live in an apartment in Michigan and I am not to far from a really bad part of town. I was wondering if I was allowed to keep a magazine loaded in my handgun within reach in case I have a break-in. Please let me know if anyone knows the direct laws. I have looked everywhere on the web for a break down of the laws and all I can find are laws involving "carrying". All I want to do is keep my gun in my case unlocked, but loaded so I can access it in an emergency.

I do not have any children, nor do children visit.

• ERIC
    Favorite Answer

Michigan has no laws against how you store a firearm in your own home. Yes there are laws about carrying off of your own property. Since you say apartment, I'm assuming it's rented and technically not your property, but it's still your home.

Common sense should prevail for storing a loaded firearm, but since you have no kids and none visit the main source of potential accidents or negligence is greatly reduced.

Source(s): I'm in MI and keep a loaded one handy in the house also. Carry laws only apply to being in public. In your home, or on your own property you may have a loaded firearm, you may carry it even, but step off the property and then state laws apply.

1

Source(s): How Defend Yourself http://netint.info/UltimateSelfDefenseGuide

Yes, it's legal in MI. And the gun won't be loaded but some lame states consider a loaded mag the same thing as a loaded gun, even when the mag is not in the well. Besides, who's going to know??? You can even keep the mag IN the gun with safety on. You don't have to chamber a round if you'd rather not. And you don't have the children factor. I keep all my mags full. I keep two full mags in my Glock case. And the ARs & AKs all have loaded mags. No one will be "dropping" by my house uninvited without acknowledgement.

You can contact the State police if you like and ask but you'll get the whole gun safety answer:

Michigan State Police Headquarters

333 S. Grand Ave.

P.O. Box 30634

Lansing, MI 48909-0634

Information: (517) 332-2521

@ "angela", speak English!

If would say that having a magazine loaded is not good enough. If you want a gun "ready" you should have a round in the chamber. In cases where someone kicks the apartment door in, you may only have time to grab the pistol, if even that.

When I went to get my conceal permit, I heard all types of stories. I heard stories where people had someone kick their door in, and a gun was right in their face. They did not have time to get a pistol. For my self, my home was burglarized. When I opened the door, I was nervous because I have a loaded ar15 in my bedroom. What if the person had waited for me to return home? And used my gun against me? Lucky for me, I had the gun hidden behind some items so the robber did not search the area.

Overall though, I live in the state of Virginia. In Virginia, we can have a concealed weapon in our homes and business. Only time we must have a permit is if we are out of that area. So I would say check your laws in MI. I'm very certain that the laws are similar however some states require that you retreat to a safe area, even if you are within your home.

Overall, I would be more worried about burglars taking the gun than if you have a loaded gun. My personal opinion is to get a conceal permit and have the gun on you at all times. That way you won't have to stress about your apartment being broken into during the day and possibly your gun taken or worse they wait for you to come home.

• minnie

AR-15 is a terrible choice for a home security weapon. On the grounds that you might be best 18 you can't buy a hand gun, a shotgun is extra suited to that reason. Either pump motion or semi-auto. The purpose being is that a shotgun is a close quarters weapon and has constrained strong variety. With a shotgun it's factor and shoot and has a small threat of penetrating a wall and killing any individual on the opposite side. I've been hit by means of shot pellets from about 35 to forty ft and not been injured,it nonetheless stings but didn't smash the skin.

In Canada we have home storage laws, which require firearms to be stored unloaded and disabled with a locking deviced, or locked in a secure case, room or receptacle, this is just for long-guns. Handgun must be stored , unload, trigger locked and kept in a secure case or receptacle. Ammunition is not to be stored in easy access to its firearm, unless both are stored in a secure receptacle ( gun vault). I doesn't matter whether you have children or not. The concerns seems to be that some idiot might break into your house and get a hold of your firearm and shoot themself or someone else.

Yes

Different places have different rules. For example, in Illinois, you have to have a "gun card". So the best thing to do is to contact the local law enforcement agency, and ask them. They're the ones who issue gun permits, anyway. And your rental agreement could include something about it. I'm pretty sure the landlord would have the right to legally ban guns from his property.

Yes you can. If I was you I would keep it 1 in the chamber, safety off. The only thing you have to worry about is someone breaking in and stealing your gun, so dont tell all your neighbors about it

• Where i live it would b illegal however gun laws are different everywhere you can load a clip and keep it next to the gun.