Ross asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 years ago

Private Pilot Checkride help?

I'm going to do my PPL checkride this coming week. Is there any specific areas I should review for the oral? Also, do I have to use the specific POH for the aircraft I'm taking the test in or can I use the generic POH Cessna distributes for the 172? Any help would be great. Thanks

Favorite Answer

First and foremost, you should be asking your flight instructor these very questions. That is what you pay him / her for. Since you are asking here, I must assume that your instructor has not been thorough and you are not adequately prepared for your checkride.

You may use any POH that covers the specific model and year of Cessna 172 you will be flying, but why wouldn't you use the one that is kept in the airplane you'll be flying during the check ride? I cannot say whether the generic one you are referring to is adequate. If the POH in the airplane contains the current weight and balance data for that airplane, then definitely use that handbook in the oral exam.

Anything and everything that is found in the Practical Test Standards is "fair game" for the examiner. If you are not familiar with this document, your instructor has not done his / her job. If you are aware of it but haven't looked at it closely, shame on you. Time to review it carefully: http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen...

You can be sure that all the questions you missed when you took the written test will be explored thoroughly by the examiner. Not just the specific questions, but the subject areas from which those questions were taken.

You should have invested in and studied one of the many Oral Test Prep guides that are available, such as the one published by ASA. Get one now and start studying. There are some things you MUST know for the oral exam. For a lot of the information however it's good enough just to know how and where to find it, but some of the items you should have memorized include:

1) the duration of your medical certificate and what date it expires

2) the differences in the classes of medical certificate

3) the personal documents you must carry when flying

3) other documents that must be in the aircraft when flying and their location in the aircraft.

4) most of the V-speeds specific to the aircraft

5) the type of fuel and oil required for your aircraft

6) how to identify different fuel grades and types

7) required aircraft maintenance that makes the plane legal to fly

8) how you determine that maintenance has been performed

9) required pilot logbook entries and endorsements

10) pilot currency requirements

11) VFR weather minimums and cloud clearance requirements

12) light gun signals

13) the types of airspace and communication / equipment / weather requirements to enter it

14) what constitutes an in-flight emergency, who to contact and what procedures to follow

15) what constitutes valid weather information and how do you obtain it?

This is my own "short list" to grill students on and there are other things you should have memorized too. As mentioned above, though, you don't have to memorize everything. However, if you don't know the answer to a question, DON'T GUESS. Know where to find the information you need quickly in the FAR / AIM, in the POH, on the chart legends, in the AFD, or in any of the items you should bring to your flight test..

The oral test gives the examiner the first impression of your knowledge and skills . If you ace the first few questions of the oral, the rest of the oral should be a breeze. If you stumble early, expect a much longer, more thorough and more difficult examination. You can't be over-prepared for it. If you do well on the oral then the flight check should be relatively easy. If you haven't spent 8 or more hours studying for the oral (flash cards work great), you haven't studied enough. If your instructor hasn't spent 2-3 hours hitting you with oral exam questions, you aren't prepared. It is better to cancel a flight test than to fail it.

Here are two useful links

http://www.askacfi.com/1773/private-pilot-oral-exa...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr483zBbQKw

Youtube thumbnail

I won't say "good luck", because luck is not a part of success in aviation. Preparation is the key.

Source(s): . Me. Professional pilot and flight instructor for 26 years

Yesterday I busted my Private Pilot checkride. Went in, aced the oral section (examiner said I did an "excellent job"). Pre-flighted, took off, everything was doing great. Flew the C-152 to the first 2 checkpoints, did timing. Was diverted, told to do slow flight. Air was a bit choppy, but should have been able to hold it. With full flaps, I couldn't hold altitude at the 50KIAS requested by the examiner - would push throttle in all the way, ballooned up, cut back a bit, dropped down. Alternated between 2,800 and 3,200 feet on slow flight. Went and did a few other maneuvers, did fine - left carb heat ON during power-off stall recovery for a 5-10 seconds after pushing the throttle in (examiner said "I saw that..." as I was pushing the carb heat back in). Lost around 200ft on my left steep turn, but less than 50ft on my right turn. Put on foggles, did climbing/diving recoveries under simulated IMC. Nail the spiral descent into emergency landing (engine out from 3,000ft).

use the poh for what?

you can do your flight planning with a copy (i have photocopies of cherokee and 152 pohs for this purpose), but you must have the plane's real, official poh in the plane for flight.

around here we always do a practice flight test with a senior instructor before they recommend you to transport canada for a real flight test. i found this useful.

later: the very first oral question on my flight test, btw, was what documents we had to have on board the plane for the flight to be legal. i've added a link to the canadian ppl flight test guide. it covers pretty well the same stuff as the u.s. guide.

What you missed on the written and the specific one.