What's the big deal about Chic-Fil-A?

Is it just like their CEO opposes gay marriage? Or is there more to it? Who cares about his personal beliefs? I feel like it's just liberals seeking controversy. That chicken is mad good too.

Like, do you really want to go around being the morals police and find out the background of the CEO of every company you invest in? Like maybe the CEO of corona has private cockfighting in his basement. I don't care. Why is this chic fil a thing such a big deal?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • St N
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The CEO publicly stated his discriminatory philosophy. A governemnt leader (I forget if it was a mayor or governor) turned around and told him he might as well withdraw his application to open in that jurisdiction. It was a dead day in the media so they played it up.

Is the chicken mad good because it has mad cow disease? The cows on the billboards sure look mad.

• 3 years ago

It is not best homosexual folks which are making it a massive deal. Everyone is blowing it out of percentage - Christians, gays, and heterosexual supporters of gays. Chic-fil-a has lengthy supported corporations that attempt to hold homosexuals from marrying and acquiring rights. It blew up while the Jim Henson corporation made up our minds that they now not desired their toys within the youngsters foods of a corporation that discriminates towards folks (Chic-fil-a). This drew relatively a bit of of concentration. Chic-fil-a lied and mentioned that the rationale they had been recalling the toys since they had been damaging, which wasn't the case. This drew much more concentration.

• 7 years ago

Notice how it's only wrong to "reach into the company til and support political causes" when someone doesn't agree with your politics? I don't see anyone here complaining about any companies that donate money to the NRA.

I also don't see anyone complaining about Catholic churches opening up in cities. They not only have an anti-gay marriage stance like Cathy does, but they advocate the eternal torment of not only all gay people but all non-Christians as well (since homosexuality and not accepting Jesus as your Savior are sins and the punishment for unforgiven sins is hell within catholicism).

So why isn't there any outrage about all the Catholic businessmen who tithe 10% of their income to a vehemently anti-gay outfit like the Catholic Church?

• 7 years ago

Well, it's more than that. And I think it's more than just a liberal v conservative thing too. Basically, Chic-Fil-A is an openly religious institution, and a whole heckuva lot of people don't get down with religion.

And of course, as a result, Chic-Fil-A has the support of ultra fundamentalist Christians, who tend to only bark and rant about the meaner, older parts of the Bible, and tend to forget all the parts about love and respect, etc, from the New Testament that any level-headed Christian will remind you supersede anything in the Old Testament.

Also, the CEO is one of those fundies. So you basically have a choice as to where you want to eat, and many people choose to eat or not eat at a place based on the core values of the business, which are influenced heavily by the CEO, don't you think?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

It became a big deal when the mayors of Chicago and Boston BOTH made comments that they would consider using the power of government to stop Chick-Fil-A from opening stores in their city by doing things like refusing to issue building permits or business licenses.

Most people on both sides of the gay marriage debate recognized this as a clear violation of the 1st amendment. There's nothing wrong with a peaceful protest or refusing to do business with a company because you don't like what they stand for. But that's entirely different from someone using their position in government to block businesses just because the owner disagrees with them on a political issue.

• Lance
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It depends on which media you enjoy. If you like the right wing stuff, then folks are mad because the COO of Chick-Fil-A used his free speech and the liberals want to crucify him for saying he's a Christian.

The other media talks about how the gays are mad because Chick-Fil-A donated millions of dollars to air attack ads that vilified the gays. Which of course is why the gays are mad.

• 7 years ago

Nobody cares about his personal beliefs - that isn't the issue. All Americans can and should support the man's first amendment rights to speak about what he believes.

The problem comes in when he uses corporate dollars to try to eliminate equal protection under law (see the American Constitution).

Just as he has a right to voice his opinions, the people who do not agree with him have the right to voice dissenting opinions. We can choose to give our disposable income to other companies rather than to his. I personally would not be happy knowing that dollars I spend at his business went to an anti-American cause.

For me, it is moot. I don't like Chik-Fil-A and on the rare occasions I get a fast food chicken sandwich, I get it from KTC.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

He also uses corporate money to support these groups.

It isn't about his personal behavior, it's about the behavior of that corporate person, as Republicans call companies these days.

Get the difference? He reaches into the company till to fund his own politics. Which makes the company's politics the same as his politics.

Or to use your analogy. He is having cockfights in the restaurant to sell product.

• 7 years ago

More distraction politics from the corrupt Chicago-style democratic machine. Obama can't run on his record so he is keeping the media from discussing real issues.

@SupaSta... You're right. You have a right to say what you want, but begging for credibility based on your service is lame. Your name calling is pathetic. Thumbs down.

• R T
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

There is more to it. The "tolerant" liberals are trying to make life miserable for people who don't agree with them.

Obama (before he flip flopped) said basically the same thing Cathy did and nobody is boycotting Obama.

Jim Henson's Corporation donated to gay causes and nobody is complaining that he is using his corporate dollars for political purposes but (read below) people are complaining that Cathy does.

Kinda proves the point. What liberals want is not tolerance it's acceptance and they are willing to be intolerant and bigoted if you don't agree.

Source(s): ///
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.