Before I pronounce this laptop DEAD...?

...I'd like a second opinion (or two). HP Pavilion ZV5000, circa 2004. No boot. Backlit power button and other indicators on the base illuminate when I hit the power button. The fan runs for about a second (self test?) then shuts down. I can hear the disk spinning, and can hear what sounds like a... show more ...I'd like a second opinion (or two).

HP Pavilion ZV5000, circa 2004.

No boot. Backlit power button and other indicators on the base illuminate when I hit the power button. The fan runs for about a second (self test?) then shuts down. I can hear the disk spinning, and can hear what sounds like a "recalibrate" cycle from the disk every 5 seconds or so.

No backlighting on the LCD, nothing on the display (LCD or external monitor). I can shut the laptop down by holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Reseated memory module, reseated HDD. (The HDD seems OK; I installed it in another computer and recovered files using an Ubuntu Live CD session.)

Battery pack in or out makes no difference; AC or battery makes no difference, external monitor makes no difference.

I'm certainly not going to invest any money in an eight-year-old laptop.

But have I forgotten anything easy?

(Absent a solution, "best answer" will go to the most clever eulogy.)

"He's dead, Jim!"
Update: New information: I just discovered that the router in the same office is dead, too. I'm surely dealing with power line surge damage in both devices. (We've had plenty of thunderstorms recently.)

I suppose I should test the FAX and printer, now.