i am planning to convert my pertrol car to ELECTRIC VEHICLE....?

i selected a small hatch back- MARUTHI 800 in INDIA. The controller<stock> which is available in india is 72v 450amp peak and even 48v.i am using 12v100AH<other AMP RATING ARE WELCOMED> AGM DEEPCYCLE BATTERY OR LEAD ACID BATTERY. i want to cover a distance of 70km approx. daily. the weight of the car with petrol engine is 700kg approx. i am not able to decide the motor for this. i dont know the correct rating of the motor. most importantly to which motor to go either AC /DC/PERMANENT MAGNET MOTORS/SHUNT MOTOR / STEFFER MOTOR. ETC. I mostly drive single. i am planning to add a generater to charge the batteries for further KMS of run. pls suggest me the correct battery AMPS AND THE MOTOR FOR LONG RUN. i am not a fast driver but want a maximum speed of 80KM/HR <speed can be compermised a little>. but want to cover long distances .i wanna know the RATINGS and HP/TORQUE with the best RPM of the MOTOR. pls guide me. feel free to give me ur contact details so that i can clarify my doubts. skype conversations are also possible.

Favorite Answer

To answer a few of your questions, a DC motor is much better for a homemade electric conversion - AC motors do have advantages, but require much more advanced and expensive controller systems.

*

You can use almost any electric motor that is rated for the voltage and current specs for your batteries and controller system. For example, if I multiply 72 volts times 450 amps, I get about 32 kilowatts, which translates to around 41 horsepower. You need to be sure your motor doesn't pull more power than this when under full load (or your controller will blow out.)

*

You cannot use a generator to increase your driving range - the generator will increase drag and consume more energy than it gives back. You can use one for braking, if you want (this is called regenerative braking.)

*

Lots of good advice for your project can be found here:

http://evalbum.com/build

*

You can save money on parts by buying from fellow hobbyists, here:

http://www.evtradinpost.com/list/11

*

Here you can look at a few thousand hobbyist-built electric cars:

http://evalbum.com/

quite of this i might advise being affected person for yet another 3 hundred and sixty 5 days or so until electric automobiles and hybrids are greater broadly attainable and occasional-priced. Tesla autos is popping out with new fashions this 3 hundred and sixty 5 days, the Compressed Air automobile could become something different than a hoax, even the Genepax automobile that makes use of water for gas ought to become genuine (yet unlikely). in case you will not be able to bypass highway speeds then saving a splash gas isn't your substantial situation. Slower than problem-free drivers reason greater deadly automobile injuries than quicker drivers and it truly is problem-free to work out how the ensuing bottlenecks ought to reason different injuries from impatient or much less observant drivers. i'm bored with extreme gas expenditures, all people are, yet precise now there isn't an proper thank you to get around them. interior of a three hundred and sixty 5 days or 2 there'll yet not yet. until then only stress much less, walk or motorbike greater or use mass transit if attainable, or brace your self for ever greater gas expenditures over the subsequent 3 hundred and sixty 5 days or so. If particular countries might end stressful different countries boost oil production on an identical time as they're unwilling to realize this themselves, which would be a huge help. yet that may not happen.

You're asking a lot from people who aren't on hand. You would probably be better off looking at some of the hobby sites where they've already done conversions and such.

• Bruce

I do not believe you can convert a gas car to electric. Normally such conversions cannot be done for a reasonable price because of space requirements.

yes you can you just take a gernade and put it in the car fuel tank then the car will blast

then you can buy a new electric car thus converting your old petrol car into electric car

YOURS ,

kickass answers