Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationOther - Outdoor Recreation · 7 years ago

inline skate questions...?

I haven't been skating for awhile now, everything has changed...

What does the numbers mean? I just want a skate that I can roll around town in , use for a work out preference. I bought a pair of bladerunners , not sure what the numbers were for wheels, bearings but they didn't last long... im completely missing something... I am now though thinking of maybe the K2 brand???

any and all suggestions or a good informative site that can help out... i did some research but it seemed really vagued and kind of common sense... :/

thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The main numbers (other than foot size) are the wheels and the bearings.

The wheels have numbers for diameter (80mm) and hardness (83A).

The bearings usually have an ABEC number (ABEC5) which is meaningless for inline skating but the marketing people like numbers where bigger is supposedly better and really don't cost more.

Blade Runner is Rollerblade's cheap line of skates. They used to not even include Rollerblade's logo on them or even the box. They have improved the skates a bit now and admit to making them.

Both K2 and Rollerblade skates will generally be better than the Blade Runners but they both have skates that range from cheap to really good.

You are looking for recreational/fitness skates. The differences between rec and fit skates are that fitness skates are made to go faster and longer distances but not be as extreme as racing skates.

The most important thing is fit. They need to be snug all around your feet so that they do exactly what your feet are doing instead of moving around on them.

Bigger wheels are better (within reason). 84 and 90mm are becoming the most popular sizes for people who skate much with 100mm and larger for those who are very into speed. Larger wheels roll easier (aka faster) and are smoother over rough surfaces.

I don't recommend anything smaller than 80mm since there are not many good wheels smaller than that. Wheels do wear out but how much depends a lot on how much you skate, what the surfaces are like, and how picky you are about any wear. I know a racer that kept a couple other friends stocked with the wheels she took off. They were too worn for her racing but they considered the wheels as almost new.

There is very little difference in bearings with the biggest being what is in them as a lubricant. Any reasonable quality skate will come with reasonable bearings. Grease lasts a lot longer but will feel slow until you skate on them a while. Oil is fast out of the box but will need to have more added sooner. Gels are in between grease and oil.

Stiffer frames help transfer the power from your feet into movement.

Cheaper skates use plastic for their frames. Some try to hide that they are plastic by calling it composite.

Mid level skates move up to stamped aluminum frames. They will show an inside and outside surface with the same bumps from the stamping and will be folded or made up of several pieces that are riveted together.

The best skates use extruded aluminum frames. They are one piece with smooth surfaces except where material has been machined away.

Longer frames are more stable at higher speeds but most skates make them just long enough to hold the wheel size. If you get larger wheels, you get longer frames.

Fitness boots will have a shorter cuff than rec skates to allow your ankle to flex as part of the stride.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

sophisticated thing browse using search engines like google that will will help

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.