Are tattoos dangerous...?

Hey, I am wanting to get a tattoo (don't worry, it is tasteful haha!) - but am put off by potential blood diseases, I am worried about Hepatitis and aids, I was just wondering the likelihood of getting a blood disease from getting a tattoo ? I have done endless research but no definite answers really? No statistics or anything? Like, is it 0.01% of people who have hepatitis have contracted it from tattoos or something?? I have no idea! Does anyone KNOW anyone who got hepatitis from a tattoo?? No scaremongering please, just honest answers!

I hardly know anyone WITHOUT a tattoo nowadays and they've all be absolutely fine soooooo...??

Am I just being paranoid....? After all I have got health anxiety

Thanks for reading and thanks for answering!!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The biggest risk is bloodborne pathogens contracted through cross-contamination, which you are obviously already aware of. As far as I know there is no correlation between an increased risk of skin cancer and tattoos. Considering how many grizzled old sailors have gotten tattoos over the years I think if there were a connection we'd have heard about it by now.

As long as you go to a shop that is clean and run well you shouldn't have to worry. Don't be afraid to stop into a few shops and ask them about their sterilization procedures. They should tell you about their autoclave, about the gloves they wear, about how they wrap their armrests in clingfilm, sterilize their work surfaces, etc. etc. etc.

The biggest thing to consider that is in your control is infection after the fact. Don't touch your healing tattoo with dirty hands or let other people touch it. Follow your artist's aftercare instructions to the letter.

• 9 years ago

Tattoos can definitely be dangerous. But if you go to a store where someone recommended it AND has good reviews and is clean, I'm sure it will be fine. Make sure you look at the tattooist replace the needle part with a newly packaged needle, or you have a fifty fifty chance on getting a disease. It is best to stay sure about things and make sure that you know what your doing and if the person is safe or not.

And actually a lot of people don't' have tattoos. Ask your friends where they got there tattoos and if they didn't get any disease's, then you most likely won't either.

Make sure you listen to the tatooist's instructions and don't let dirty hands touch it!

• Jen
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Licensed reputable tattooists working in good tattoo studios use one-use-only disposable equipment or equipment that is sanitized in an autoclave. The use of one-time disposable equipment and an autoclave ensures that there is no risk of bloodborne pathogens like HIV and hepatitis. So find a skilled, experienced, and clean artist who has an art style you like and works out of a reputable tattoo parlor and you will be perfectly safe.

However, there are people called "scratchers" who give bad tattoos and have no formal apprenticeship and often do not sanitize their equipment. These are people who tattoo out of their kitchens, or something equally shoddy. Since scratchers do not follow any standard for sanitation these are the people who give tattooing a bad reputation because these are the people who spread HIV and hepatitis though their ****-tattooing. A scatcher may also give you a tattoo infected with MRSA or staph, and those can both be life threatening infections where your skin will rot off.

• 9 years ago

As long as you get tattooed in a safe, health assessed studio by tattooists who know what there doing with regards to health and safety (usually they will have a health assessment document stating that all sterilising equipment works correctly, needles and clinical waste are removed from site safely etc) then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Most, if not all, tattooists will usually open pre-sterilised Etheline oxide treated needles in front of you so that you can ensure they are using clean equipment.

Grips (if not pre-sterile disposable plastic e-o gas treated) will have been sterilised in a hospital standard autoclave to ensure all bacteria that can cause harm to you (AIDS MR-SA HEPB etc) will have been killed off. These are usually stored a an sterile autoclave bag and again opened in front of you to ensure you know the equipment is sterile.

If you are worried ask to see the autoclave (looks like a big microwave) which is usually kept in a separate room to that in which the artists work to ensure cleanliness.

Things you can look out for going into a studio should be

Licences of all artists working in the studio in full view of the customers which are given by the local health authority or district council. these must be in full view of customers either in a workroom or in the main waiting room by law.

Overall cleanliness of the studio. General rule of thumb, if the shop looks messy, then so are the artists. Most respectable studios will be presented as clean, sterile environments.

Make sure that the artists are cleaning all stations, using new needles/grips/disposable workstations and water cups between tattoos.

Most tattoo studios are actually cleaner than some hospitals and there are no proven registered cases (that i know of) of a licenced studio giving anyone AIDS/MR-SA or HEPB. This is mostly due to tattoo studios being health assessed roughly every 6 months/yearly to ensure all health equipment works correctly and general standards meet those outlined by the local health authority

Source(s): Tattooist 3 years
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

My dad actually got hepatitis from a tattoo needle, so it does happen. However, he got his tattoo at least two decades ago, and it was a scratch. If you go to a clean and reputable shop that uses new needles every time, there is NO way you could get anything. So you don't have anything to worry about.

• 9 years ago

You're being paranoid haha. While the risk is there, its basically negligible if you go to a reputable and clean tattoo shop. Your tattoo artist should be wearing a fresh pair of gloves and be using a new, clean and sterilized needle If you're really worried, you can always ask them to show you their tattooing equipment and how they sterilize and clean their stuff.

I don't know anyone these days who has gotten a blood disease from getting tattoo.

You'll be fine, don't fret.

• 9 years ago

If you get a tattoo at an established place, which has good reviews and does good business you should be fine, do some research on the tattooists there too, just don't get a tattoo down some alley.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

The tattoo itself is not dangerous. It is the person who does it. Are they respectable do they follow good hygeine. They should always use a fresh new needle for each tattoo/client. They should also autoclave/steralise the other equiptment. If you follow the intructions on how to care for your new tatt it should be fine. Ask questions of you artist if you are suspect of him/her go somewhere where they are happy to answer questions. Infections are rare and mostly come after the tatt has ot been cared for properly.

• 9 years ago

as long as the needle is fresh from the packet and the tattooist studio is clean then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I have 3 tattoos one of which was done at someones house (which isn't high recommended) but im okay and didn't catch anything

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

As long as you go to a clean and licensed shop you will have no problems, don't go to any scratch ones (backstreet shops).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.