How is zoroastrianism not a monotheistic religion?

in an question ppl told me i was incorrect in saying zoroastrianism was monotheistic

"The Prophet Zarathushtra sets his teachings apart from contemporary Iranian traditions by advocating strict monotheism, insisting that worship be dedicated solely to Ahura Mazda ("Wise Lord"). "

"It is also the first major monotheistic religion.[2]"

"Zoroastrians believe that there is one universal and transcendent God, Ahura Mazda. He is said to be the one uncreated Creator to whom all worship is ultimately directed"

if i am wrong what about zoroastrianism makes it not a monotheistic religion, the fact it is a monotheistic religion? or that they only worship one god? or the fact zarathustra's teachings says there is only one god?

Update:

so by your arguement since satan exists then islam christianity and judaisms are all not monotheistic

if they only have one god in their religion they are montheistic

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Before coming to Yahoo chat rooms more than a decade ago I knew little about Zoroastrian religion. I met some very nice practitioners of their faith in a user chat room and they were some of the nicest people I encountered in Yahoo chat. It was from practicing Zoroastrians that I learned that their religion does not fit the definition of literal monotheism.Monotheism means belief that only one God is real. Belief there is only ONE not 2 or 3 nor in dualities, trinities, nor in in demi gods, nor in incarnate deities. NO other entity with the power or attributes of deity, nor any other entity worshipped. The Zoroastrian religion isn't monotheistic as they have more than one deity. Angra Mainyu is the destructive deity, Ahura Mazda the creative deity;it has a concept of dualities of deities and in some groups, Zoroaster himself became an object of worship.

Judaism is the ONLY true monotheistic religion of those brought up because UNLIKE Christianity and Islam who have a concept of a Devil that "rules" the "underworld" and has the power to BATTLE God thus giving this entity the attributes of a deity to be capable to battle God. In Torah & Judaism there is NO other entity that can battle/threaten or challenge the power of God. HaSatan in the Tanakh is an angel of God who needs God's permission to act and is never shown disobeying God. HaSatan is the adversary to humans, not God in the Torah. He represents the inclination to evil that humans can master. Humans are more powerful than the satan in Jewish belief if we reject the evil inclination. The commandment to have no other gods before me acknowledged that **other people** worshiped what they believe to be deities. Torah did not acknowledge those other entities as having any divine power, and repeatedly showed the impotence of false gods.Torah's concept of the nature of God is an incorporeal omnipotent Creator that does not incarnate. The notion of a human becoming a god is condemned in several lengthy narratives in the Tanakh. The *attributes* of the nature of God are many, including merciful and just, not simply masculine and feminine, but in no way are they corporeal or separate manifestations. God is strictly monotheistic in the Torah. Thus, the trinity concept of Christianity isn't compatible with strict monotheism either as it possesses a concept of an incarnate, corporeal manifestation of a god in human form. The worship of or through Jesus as a god incarnate renders Christianity to be incompatible with strict monotheism, too.

With regard to why Ahkenaten's worship of "Aten" also fails to be monotheism. Ahkenaten's worship of "Aten" (light beyond the sun) represented by the disc of the sun, was still a far cry from the monotheism of Torah primarily because Akhenaten was still, like the Pharoahs before and after him, believed to represent the deity on earth as an incarnate manifestation of deity. Objective physical archaeological evidence to the belief of Akhenaten as Aten incarnate is found inscribed upon one of this thrones. The monotheism of the Torah is about a covenant of faith that is more concerned with this life rather than the obsession of the Egyptians with the afterlife. The book of Exodus reads as a direct replacement theology, treating the belief of Ahkenaten in a somewhat similar manner that the New Testament replcement theology does to Judaism! Those who do not recognize that similar terms have taken on topsy turvy meanings in the context of the doctrine, think they're far closer than reality. There have been all sorts of theories that Moses may have been influenced by remnants of the old Aten faith of Akhenaten. I think it more likely Ahkenaten was influence by those Hebrews who had not become apostate to exclusive worship of God while in Egypt for generations since coming there.If the Pharaoh at the time of the Exodus was Ramses (as generally believed) then Nefertari as Rameses’ primary wife, believed to have been the niece or grandniece of Queen Nefertiti, wife of Akhenaten, could have taught the young Moses some of the philosophy of the banned religion and it could have influenced Moses to some degree, just as other cultural influences are also found within Judaism. However, the influence was toward rejecting the beliefs in any corporeal deity.The more I studied the religions of ancient Egypt, the more I recognized that the Torah was the antithesis of the Egyptian religions, even in how Jews have always referred to our eternal covenant law, Torah as the Book of Life, versus their Book of the Dead.

BECAUSE Zoroastrains do not have only one god in their religion that they are not a monotheistic religion. They may have decided that one was a supreme deity, but as the Hindu religion may have a supreme deity over others, the fact they have other deities means they're not monotheistic

Source(s): edit: The Zoroastrians I've met did believe themselves to be monotheistic, just as Catholics who have a Devil who *rules hell and can battle God* and who believe *Jesus is god in human form* believe they are monotheistic. Zoroastrians DO have at least 2 deities and some of them even invoked Zoroaster himself to direct their prayers. http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/angra_mainyu.ht...
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

It depends how you define monotheism. Christianity, Islam & Zoroastrianism have an opposition to Gd acting separately. Judaism doesn't have that. In Judaism Satan is acting under Gd's direction as a challenge but not an opposing force. Judaism is strict monotheism. The others may be classed as monotheism for their use of a singular Gd but they aren't classified as strict monotheism. Christianity then adds another twist to it's concept of Gd of the trinity.

Judaism is either older than Zoroastrianism, or developed at the same time (according to archeology & scholar experts on each). So Zoroastrianism wouldn't be the first major monotheistic religion, with certainty. At best it's a controversial topic that could be argued in many directions. Also if using that, one should also add in that under one of the Pharoah, the Sungod was singularly worshipped monotheistically (Egyptian spirituality then reverted back to it's many gods after that Pharoah's death.).

@Mamap's comment

That's interesting about Zoroastrianism being more a group of Gds similar to some various of Hinduism that place the Gds as part of one central Gd energy. I hadn't seen that on sites about Zoroastrianism, but those you met must have described it better. It makes much more sense in historical time period & development, than the explanation I'd seen on sites.

On Aten, would still be a variation of monotheism in the same way that that Hinduism idea, and Christianity & Islam are labeled monotheism by some (who use the much broader definition). But it also wouldn't be strict monotheism, a crucial different. Where it would different from Judaism in leaps, bounds & critically different ways, is that it would be idolatry & worship of a human being (as a Gd). Judaism's move to a non-human worship of a ruler, leads to dramatic changes to more democractic & equal opportunity & socially responsible community. So again, you've brought up important points for this topic on Egypt (for went it's asked in the future) that my generalize comment wasn't clear on.

I tend to agree that it appears much more likely that Hebrews coming through (for a number of centuries) influenced the pharoah, than it was the other way around... considering that most everything else about Judaism is the opposite to Egyptian spirituality, or not related to it. If influenced it'd be more likely they'd pick it -all- up as template, rather than a Pharoah staying with traditional Egyptian religion but adding one change that is shared with the Hebrews.

• Aravah
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

answer: many pagans believe that their gods and goddesses are merely "aspects" of a cosmic, divine deity.

That doesn't make their religious beliefs monotheistic.

Same thing.

Zoroastrianism is a dualistic religion - good/evil, light/dark

Satan isn't equal to G-d in Christianity (but can come close)

Satan isn't even near G-d in Judaism = monotheism

• Zahra
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

in my country,It's believed to be a Monotheistic religion by all people.(Muslims and others) and IT IS.

they believe in Dark/light, good/bad. but these aren't symbol of God and it doesn't mean they have two Gods.

Source(s): Iranian
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Coop
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

words too big, care too small

• 7 years ago

don't know and don't care

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.