Anonymous

Why do people think of Creole Black Americana?

My dad's side of the family is Creole and German, but I just see them as Creole. They were from St. Louis (Creoles come from French owned territories for those wondering, and are the most mixed race group of African Americans in the U.S) and my grandma was very adamant about saying they were free during slavery. My grandmother was very arrogant about being Creole though, and it makes me wonder because she hated Southern Blacks and thought they were tacky, she was a city girl and very light skinned with wavy hair, her family and other Creoles seem more (I know this is a bad term, but it fits) "uppity" as people used to say etc... Like Beyonce's mom is Creole, but people seem confused by that fsr since it's still Black, but mixed. So I'm wondering about what people think...

The cultures are very different imo. Like embracing being mixed race, and cooking foods like gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish, catfish, etc... much more than "soul food" and many are usually quick to say they are Creole and are proud of that as opposed to just saying they are African American.

• blah
    Best Answer

Probably nothing. They most likely see them as black Americans and nothing more....I doubt there's anything that's really 'special' that divides them between 'AA's, other than a little cultural difference.

• ?

They're my folks. lol. I don't see what's wrong with being proud of it but I DO believe a lot of Creole people are proud of it for the wrong reasons. Some are just happy they have 'European' features. I'm proud b/ca of the rich culture. The music, the food, the mood. lol. It's all so lively.

Still, I'm also proud to be a Black American. Can't I love all of my culture? I mean some people don't have any culture so I feel twice as blessed.

• .Asky

They rock my socks, lol. I like their culture the most of all the Black cultures to be honest. Anything that's semi-French is cute to me, haha. I think the Creole people are very elegant and classy, and I love their Frenchified Southern charm and good looks. I like the "uppity" thing, but I don't think most Creoles are uppity. And any culture that gives us Beyonce is great in my book. She's the Queen. But to top it off Creoles have given us Beyonce AND jambalaya! How can anyone not like them? lol. Creole food is leagues better than soul food.

the only one i met was a voodoo woman who i stayed away from. but i think the culture is interesting.