Can I use my stock HDD as an external drive after I upgrade to a SSD? 2012 macbook pro 13"?

Just bought this thing. I like it but a little more speed can't hurt. Also looking into upgrading to 8gb of ram. Looking at this solid state drive: http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Industrys-Performance-2-... .. To format this I believe I need a external enclosure anyway. So this brings up the question, can I use the 500gb drive as an external drive after I have the SSD in my laptop?

• Joe G
    Favorite Answer

Yes you can,some ssds in retail version boxed come with adapter 2.5 to 3.5 and the USB to sata cable.You will see a huge difference in start up shutdown and programs will load much faster,its amazing the way the real world difference feels,the better iops the faster it feels in real worl use.I use a 10 dollar EXT enclosure from Newegg and transfered all my files and loaded toSSD,now I use my stock 500GB as an external for movies etc.You might pay a bit more but its worth it for the full kit with software and cables.The SSD prices are at an all time low now under the magic 1 dollar per GB.

Source(s): JAAV-Tech/Google SSD Info/Newegg/Amazon.com/OCZ Support Mac/Apple Support SSD/Good Luck!

SSD learn/write lifetime is tiny in assessment to a HDD. Ie., by way of way of utilization it is going to fail alot swifter than a HDD. in spite of the shown fact that of course HDD is slower and extra susceptible to influence harm. in spite of the shown fact that i've got confidence you're able to have extra advantageous than a HDD to concern approximately once you dropped your Macbook professional. For heavy improving and massive learn/writes, i could recommend a HDD over an SSD any day.

Yes an ssd and ram are the 2 best upgrades you can do for performance.And use the HDD as an external with an enclosure as already said.

Source(s): S Forums,Google is your friend.

Yes you can as said with an external enclosure.

Source(s): saforums Apple SSd Support Forums.SS makes best SSDs ocz has many issues with firmware.