Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (American) · 7 years ago

Am I ready to play high school football?

My name is Jon

I'm 6 foot 1, 170 lbs

I'm pretty skinny with an average amount of muscle (I have virtually no body fat)

I'm going to be a junior in high school next year (16 years old)

I am pretty fast for my height, can touch the rim of a 10 foot tall basketball hoop (but cant dunk)

Me and my friend are considering playing tackle football for our school next year. Neither of us have any tackle football experience, but we play a decent amount of pick up games with friends or people from my church occasionally. The reason we want to play is because I was playing wide receiver and I scored a **** ton of touchdowns for my team, and nobody could really guard me. Some of the guys I was playing with had tackle football experience. I know this is not an accurate interpretation of how well I would do playing tackle because I realize they are very different, but I was just wondering if I would stand a chance playing for my team next year. I'm hoping to play wide receiver, but then again I don't really know much about the other positions at my age. Based on what you know about me, where do you think I would play well? Am I football material? If so, how much should I workout between now and the first game (it is the last Sunday in August) ?

Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated

Best Answer

You should at least give it a shot.. It would be a great experience for you... Good luck....

• Cu Tie

Yes, I highly encourage you (and your friend) to join your high school football team this upcoming season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you (and your friend) to start playing organized football.

Based on your height and weight, as well as your speed, I believe that you will make a very good fit at the wide receiver position. Considering your age, your size, especially your height gives you the potential to become very elite high school wide receiver.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this month (and every offseason) is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of becoming a successful, top notch wide receiver in high school football, who could go on to play college football.

By the way, your chances of playing college football depend on your performance in football during your junior, and especially senior, year of high school. If you perform very well in football during your final 2 years of high school, you will greatly improve your chances of getting recruited to play for a college football program in the future.

you sound like ud do pretty good, you gotta be tough though. get turf burn? keep going, cut ur leg? keep going. unless its something where you physically cannot play you have to keep going because your team will be counting on u especially on a skill position like reciever. work out constantly, every day if possible, upper body one day then legs net and keep switching, work abs every day and run a ton as well. cardio is crucial especially on reciever, ull be running 20-80 yards every play and you gotta keep going. you can play if you want to but you cant wuss out so make sure you really want to. football is a commitment, be ready to give up some social time. also as reciever catching with pads on is alot different than catching without wearing pads so prepare to drop a few. but you seem like you could do alright, just work out and stay in shape. good luck

Source(s): i play football

Football teams train year round and you need to start attending practices as soon as you can. Talk to a coach. Most teams have less players than the maximum for their JV/Varsity roster and won't cut players as long as they show up to every practice and put in the work. At least try I can't say how well you'll do but if you have to potential to be good don't waste it... its better to fail then never try

Source(s): I joined my football team a couple of years ago after being in a situation a little like yours and am now a varsity starter

Play what you want to play. If you play a position you don't want to play then you won't do good, simple as that. You need to have a passion for what you do to be good at it. Maybe receiver but it all comes down to what you like. (Improve your vertical too :P)

be ready to give up some social time. also as reciever catching with pads on is alot different than catching without wearing pads so prepare to drop a few. but you seem like you could do alright,

of course you can! you are highly qualified for the waterboy position.

Source(s): rex ryan just told me