pegminer asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 7 years ago

Does this make you take Anthony Watts more seriously?

Anthony Watts et al have a new unpublished study that purports to show that warming in the U.S. is less than previously reported. Almost simultaneously, he has posted a video to his website that portrays well-known climate scientists as Nazis. Does he really expect to be taken seriously when he does that? I often hear people on here complain about the way climate science is done; is THIS the way it should be done?

Ian, do you just make stuff up that you think is true? I think it's great that Watts questions station quality and enlisted people to help with that, it's an important service. Here's a question of mine from three years ago where I mentioned that Watts was getting credit for doing that in the atmospheric science community:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200908...

Most of the rest of what Watts does is garbage, though.

Favorite Answer

I watched the video as long as I could.

Yes. I take Watts very seriously, in the same way that I take Sarah Palin very seriously. It is a symptom of an unhealthy and ill informed society when anyone pays attention to people of that intellectual calibre for more than five minutes.

Specifically, the video shows Muller as a Nazi stooge, but the German high command recoil in with terror from Watts’ "bullet-proof" study.

I have friends who survived the Nazis, and friends whose parents didn't. I want to puke.

I'm not a fan. I really didn't like the Unibomber ad from Heartland either. I would consider both of those mistakes in public relations.

However, as you often say: It doesn't change the science (i.e. Watt's paper). Are you suggesting that the peer review process which this paper is about to undergo should consider the posting of this video?

• bubba

Watts can't keep raising money from the denialists if he has to use science because the science will prove him wrong. Now it is time to entertain denialist by defaming the scientists. It is far easier than science. You know what they say about fools and their money. Watts is hoping to cash in on his denialist base. His base will love it and send the cash in so he doesn't have to work for a living.

IF you mean the Koch-Heartland hired hack who first made "an entire career out of getting people to take pictures of weather stations, then ignoring all the analyses that conclude that his perceived conclusions are wrong” http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AikQ_... and then started his own super-duper-echo-chamber website where he “spreads misinformation” about climate change http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ApjFf...

THEN, yes, he should be taken seriously, as a fake scientist con artist who has duped a lot of poorly-informed followers and science-hating wannabes here on YA.

Edit: re the video link, provided by Jeff and viewable by me (though it is slow), but which JimZ is "blocked' from (due to his own denial?). This copy-cat attempt at "humor" with semi-literate added text reminds me that the biggest deniers of the Holocaust were the Germans themselves, in the first decades after 1945. With the passing of time and the ever-loftier mountains of damning evidence, that has changed drastically in more recent times. Nowadays publicly denying the Holocaust is actually illegal in Germany, but it is doubtful whether more than the dumbest 10% of Germans would espouse such nonsense even were there no legal impediments to doing so. As for the non-peer-reviewed "study" of Watts et al, recently made public, I would wait for the informed comments of bonafide climate scientists.

... ... ...

flossie

<Definition of NAZI as used today:

<2. nazi - derogatory term for a person who is fanatically dedicated to, or seeks to control, some activity, practice, etc.

<Uum, sound like anyone or any group?>

It sure does. It sounds like denialists who want to jail honest scientists.

Ian

<They are still furious that McIntyre had the audacity to find Hansens Y2K error.>

LOL! Now, that is what I call a straw man argument. No one is furious. Unlike denialists, realists move on.

Hitler's primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

This is exactly the strategy the greenies are doing right now. Hitler was a Nazi and if they are emulating him then they are open for such criticism.

I probably wouldn't have said it but obviously Anthony knows more than I do.

“If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.” ― Joseph Goebbels

Goebbels was a Nazi also.

Sounds like emulation to me.

• JimZ

Do you have a link to that? It sounds way over the top to me.

To me, Nazis include antisemitism and are associated with one of the worst crimes in human history. It is similar to calling someone a child molester. There isn't many worse insults and it is why I find denier and denialist particularly insulting. Many Islamists could easily be called Nazis because they are so similar in many ways but I doubt that any climate scientists are among them. He may have meant fascist like Mussolini IMO. Mussolini practiced his brand of socialism, which was referred to as fascism, but he wasn't a Nazi.

Thanks Jeff, that site is blocked so I will have to look at later.

• Ian

1) He writes a friggin blog. He LINKED to a video that SOMEONE ELSE CREATED that compares alarmists to Nazis. It's been done countless times with this video before and was never funny to begin with.

2) I actually agree with Jeff M. Instead of having a press release of his study (a la Muller) he should have waited till it was published.

3) He has done more work than anyone to study station quality. Alarmists of course HATE that someone would actually DARE to question their results. They are still furious that McIntyre had the audacity to find Hansens Y2K error. To them if you are not a Climatologist then you have no right to question their findings, even if you prove them wrong. If you are a Climatologist that dares to question CAGW then you are branded a denier who must have been bought out by Big Oil.

Source(s): @Climate Realist...How is the fact that alarmist hate McIntyre for discovering the Y2K error a straw man argument? Alarmists HATE when people question the findings of other alarmists and that's an example. Look at Pegminer, he hates that Watts is questioning station quality so has to pretend his link to some old non funny Nazi video that someone else created is somehow relevant to his study . I think that's more or a straw man then me saying that alarmists hate when deniers question their findings and then giving an example.
  • gcnp58

If you google "tool" in the American Heritage Online Dictionary, the thumbnail image that pops up with the definition of the word is of Anthony Watts.