Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 years ago

I'm a failure in life since graduating high school, what do I do?

I recently graduated 2 months ago. I'm 18 years old. My parents are starting to get on my case now because I have nothing going for myself. I go to community college and I already have 19 credits because 18 of them transferred from high school and I just earned one. I've been applying for jobs, but with everything being online and all it's hard to get an interview. I've only had one job interview for a fast food because they had a job fair and I didn't get the job because their location was not hiring. I go to class everyday. I play videogames because that's the only thing I can do because I don't have a lot of money. I'm not a troublemaker I stay at home most of the time and rarely go out. I know now's not the time to play videogames, but I don't play until the evening until I've done my school and job stuff. I know things are going bad and I'm trying to think about what I'm going to do with myself. My parents drag me along with them everywhere they go and treat me like I'm a kid which takes away from my thinking time. I can never get a break because they always want to do family stuff. I'm just trying to get some space right now so I can think and I can't even get that. My dad keeps telling me join the military,but I don't think I'm ready I've talked with a recruiter and I just don't know. I want to join the military because I want too and not because my parents told me too. If I joined because of that I would go in and probably hate it. for now I don't think the military's for me. with so much stuff going on right now it's hard for me to take it all in and think with all the stress. Any advice on what to do? or what you did after graduating?

Favorite Answer

No - your parents are just not very nice to you. You can't be a failure quite yet. Cut yourself some slack - you're doing better than most people just finishing high school.

Once we finished high school, we got drafted the sent to Vietnam to get killed. At least you don't have to do that. So stand your ground - take a break - don't feel guilty about it.

It's gonna take some time to get a job, especially with everyone getting laid off and stuff. Youll belucky to get an interview. The best advice I can give you is to keep trying. If you apply somewhere and they send you a rejection email, apply again. If they don't respond, apply again. If you get an interview but no call back, apply again. Not all places require online applications so be sure to look for them and visit stores to speak with a hiring manager about open positions. You really have to put yourself out there. Look up some tips on google to make your resume seem more impressive. They even have resume tips for people with little or no experience. I know it feels like you're doing your best, but the moment you begin to lose hope, is the moment you stop trying as hard.

Right after high school I didn't go straight to college. I took time to work so that I could help my mother with bills and save money for school. After 6 months, the company I worked for as a receptionist went out of business. When I started college, I also tried to find another job on the side. I searched Craigslist, newspaper, internet job sites, and asked people I knew. Eventually I found a part time sales associate job that allowed a flexible schedule. When I was 19, I moved out of my mom's and my bf and I got our own place. I continued with school for a about 2 years until that store went out of business too!! Again, I was left unemployed and unable to pay school. So I sucked it up and went out looking for a job again.

I went through some crappy interviews and most places didn't even bother to give me a call. There were so many applicants much more qualified than me. I tried applying at big companies like Walmart, Sears, Macys, petco, Nordstrom, foodland, etc because I knew they would have goof benefits. However, it was difficult to get their attention. It took almost 2 months before places started calling me for interviews and offering me job. But that was only after spending every waking moment applying and reapplying everywhere.

Now I'm fortunate to have a job with good benefits that will hopefully allow me to continue school next year.

The point of all that rambling is to show you that life is going to knock you down when you're least prepared but with enough hard work and determination, you will find a job. It might not be the best job at first, but keep in mind that you need to start somewhere. If military isn't for you, don't do it. Research possible careers to help guide you through your college path. Also ask around if there are campus jobs available. But whatever you do don't stop looking for a job. Also, stay in school if your parents are willing to pay for it. It could help you get to a career.

Also, cut back on the video games. My brother is 18, out of high school and has no job or veven in college. I worry about him because he stays home and plays video games a lot and my mom treats him like a child. She too wants him to go into military because she doesnt know what else to do. He has no drive whatsoever and barely applies anywhere.

You have it in you to change your life. You just have to be willing work for it and have patience. Also, if you have a smart phone, download a Craigslist app and job search apps and check them everyday for new postings. I checked it like 5x a day and eventually landed an interview and job.

• sushil

I have been given a component time activity at an entire service restaraunt which seems to br thr in basic terms style of employer at the instant. appears like have been in a similar boat, and that i graduated a 365 days in the past. i could say only end college for a extra sensible activity like how Im doing. the protection tension is college yet do your study on them. Alot of what is going on in the protection tension isn't what its cracked as much as be in the fantastic print. they are in a position to promise you the international, yet wont permit you spot from what attitude till its too late and youve signed those enlistment papers. only be careful.