Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 9 years ago

What is the punishment for being caught speeding 40+ over, in the state of IL? ?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Speeding 40 mph or more over the limit was already a Class A misdemeanor. See 625 ILCS 5/11-601.5. All such offenses carry a maximum penalty of up to one year in jail and a fine of $2,500.00.

Previously, a defendant court receive court supervision for this offense. Supervision is a special type of sentence that results in a dismissal of the charge without a conviction provided the defendant complies with the terms and conditions of the sentence. While the charge is dismissed, the record of supervision remains until it is expunged.

The new law disallows supervision for all speeding tickets of 40 mph or more over the limit. Thus, the minimum sentence would be a conviction, most likely in a sentence such as conditional discharge or probation.

A conviction causes the Secretary of State to impose points a someone’s driver’s license. But supervision is not available for speeding 40 mph or more over the limit. This type of speeding ticket may threaten to suspend a persons’ driving privileges.

Driver’s license points determine the length of a suspension. In some cases, too many points can result in a revoked license.

The Secretary of State will suspend a person’s license according to the following rules:

0 through 14 points – no action.

15 through 44 points – 2 month suspension.

45 through 74 points – 3 month suspension.

75 through 89 points – 6 month suspension.

90 through 99 points – 9 month suspension.

100 through 109 points – 12 month suspension.

110 or more points – one year revocation.

See Title 92 of the Illinois Administrative Code, Section 1040.30.

Both a ticket for 30 mph over and 40 mph over the limit result in the imposition of 50 points. See Section 1040.20.

Because the law does not allow the court to sentence a defendant to supervision for speeding 40 mph or more over the limit, this is a serious offense and an attorney should be consulted.

• 5 years ago

sorry to listen to bout you getting stuck m8 however least you may have the information and ideas that u say u do it whilst the carriageway is or used to be in this occason for precise empty and stuff however regrettably given that 122 is plenty, it might b potentially you can get a ban, probably just a month or 2 or would be speaking a yr or 2 even on most sensible of a gigantic pleasant however thats the kind of punishment you might customarily anticipate for doing greater than 25-30 over the restrict or definitely some thing over one hundred on any avenue with any restrict I admit i velocity repeatedly too however i do not do it by way of faculties and that and if I used to be in need of to move holiday neck I might most effective do it at the empty countrywide roads whilst it is useless cos I might recognize im hanging little two no of any one elses existence at hazard instead of my possess, and it is the idiots who force recklessly round faculties and home roads that they will have to be punishing rough on, cos they are even mroe hazardous than some1 doing one hundred+ on an empty carriagway well success besides m8

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.