Taylor asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Looking for breed suggestions?

I am wanting to get a puppy. I live on 200 acres. With cows, chickens, horses, pigs, ect. We have a yorkie, border collie, dacshund, and terrier mix. I am looking for a large breed dog with short hair. I've thought about wiemeriner, catahoula, and German short haired pointers. I want a nice looking dog to ride around with me in my truck. Thanks for suggestions.

Large, farm type dog with short hair.. Maybe a Rottweiler? They were originally bred as herding dogs. They are also loving guard dogs who can protect your animals and home. The dogs you mentioned are all hunting dogs. If that's your thing then the Catahoula and GSP are good, but when I think Weimaraner I always think of them as dogs who would be happier around water.

Catahoula's are gorgeous. I love their markings, the variety of colors they come in, and the possibility of having one or both eyes blue.

English springer spaniels can have short hair if you clip them

Hungarian vizsla

Great Dane

Doberman

German pointer

English Pointer

Lurcher of some kind

Pittbulls are awesome dogs!!! I used to not like the breed but now I do!! I have 3 myself they are all very sweet to each other and everyone the meet. They play with neighbor dogs and cuddle with my cat

They are pretty

Loyal

Protective of the home

Actually used to be nicknamed the nanny because they are so good with kids

Research them!! If these dogs are properly trained and socialized they are amazing dogs

Bad owners make bad dogs. Regardless of the breed

You've got some really good breed choices picked out for you! I was gonna say the weimeainer and German shorthaired pointer. Their really active pretty dogs!

IMO Doberman Pinschers are a really nice looking dog, large and with short hair. They're loyal and fearless, so I'm sure they'll love to ride around in your truck with you.

Akbash, Canaan Dog, vizsla, Karelian bear dogs, Beauceron

German Shepered

Golden Retrievier

Giant Shnousar

Japanese Akita

I love the look of Japanese Akitas and it really matters on how you raise the pup, so dont loose hope, if you like the look of this breed, on getting one because of the sterio types labled on them. Best of luck :)

Source(s): www.dogbreedinfo.com

here are some suggestions

Rhodesian ridgeback

dalmatian

mastiff

american staffy

great dane

personally i love great danes and wiemiraners

Source(s): kennel workers