Who are your top 10 favorite Historical figures?

Here are the basic rules for all who answer: 1. No more than 10 2. Tell us why 3. There are no wrong answers. FYI ~ I will come back later and add my personal 10 with a brief reason "why" and I always choose a B/A and do not thumb answers down as a general rule of thumb. Thanks in advance! show more Here are the basic rules for all who answer:

1. No more than 10

2. Tell us why

3. There are no wrong answers.

FYI ~ I will come back later and add my personal 10 with a brief reason "why" and I always choose a B/A and do not thumb answers down as a general rule of thumb.

Thanks in advance!
Update: Ok, here is my list; I'll acknowledge each responder for the time they took as well (later): 1. Sir Winston Churchill ~ a man that needs no introduction and though he garners criticisms today from the UK and USA in certain people; arguably the Free World should forever be in debt to the UK for the fight you all... show more Ok, here is my list; I'll acknowledge each responder for the time they took as well (later):
1. Sir Winston Churchill ~ a man that needs no introduction and though he garners criticisms today from the UK and USA in certain people; arguably the Free World should forever be in debt to the UK for the fight you all put up and never giving in ~ forever THIS American is grateful.

2. President Dwight D. Eisenhower ~ he operated in the middle and effectively worked without the assistance of media.

3. General Douglas MacArthur ~ at the time he landed in the US from Asia in 1951 he received ticker tape parades from San Francisco to New York; a different perspective resides today unfortunately through revisionism. To this day he is the second most revered General of the U.S.Army in American History (Gen. George Washington being first)

4. General George Washington ~ the most revered leader the United States ever had and one that could never be replaced in our history.

5. General Robert E.
Update 2: Ok, here is my list; I'll acknowledge each responder for the time they took as well (later): 1. Sir Winston Churchill ~ a man that needs no introduction and though he garners criticisms today from the UK and USA in certain people; arguably the Free World should forever be in debt to the UK for the fight you all... show more Ok, here is my list; I'll acknowledge each responder for the time they took as well (later):

5. General Robert E.
Update 3: 5. General Robert E. Lee ~ who married the grand daughter of George Washington and for being all to aware of his celebrity after the American Civil War and using it for brining people together instead of the opposite.

More later as Y!A is cutting off all the remainder of what I previously wrote.
Update 4: 6. Lord Horatio Nelson ~ what young man who wants to join the Navy wouldn't love to follow the leadership and love of nation than this man had to history!
Update 5: 7. Abigail Adams ~ an American woman simply ahead of her time; in some ways she is the epitomy of the Women's Rights Movements throughout American history.
Update 6: 8. Condoleeza Rice ~ she breaks every single mold and every single myth every single day.
Update 7: 9. Andrei Andreyevich Gromyko ~ a true statesman by every sense of the word; once a foe he is a model of what the Foreign Service should represent in every nation.
Update 8: 10. John Adams/Thomas Jefferson ~ round out my list; Adams fiestiness/Jefferson's temperance did more for the political system in the USA than they could ever well have imagined. Opposing minds and best of friends in younger years ~ we're better off as a nation because of both. Personal addressing to all... show more 10. John Adams/Thomas Jefferson ~ round out my list; Adams fiestiness/Jefferson's temperance did more for the political system in the USA than they could ever well have imagined. Opposing minds and best of friends in younger years ~ we're better off as a nation because of both.

Personal addressing to all of you at some point tomorrow! Thank you for sharing what you have thus far!
Update 9: For Each of You: Athena ~ gave you a thumbs up for your personal achievement; disappointed however given the many good answers I have seen from you in History. Have a great day. Laredo ~ I really appreciate your big hearted answer and true to form you never disappoint whatsoever, thank you kindly for sharing... show more For Each of You:

Athena ~ gave you a thumbs up for your personal achievement; disappointed however given the many good answers I have seen from you in History. Have a great day.

Laredo ~ I really appreciate your big hearted answer and true to form you never disappoint whatsoever, thank you kindly for sharing your list.
Update 10: "?" ~ you have a very interesting list and you make some good points. I find the JFK charismatic only in the collective loss of his young age; I completely agree that Jackie, Caroline, and John, Jr. deserved to have their husband/father alive during the course of their life and therein lay the true... show more "?" ~ you have a very interesting list and you make some good points. I find the JFK charismatic only in the collective loss of his young age; I completely agree that Jackie, Caroline, and John, Jr. deserved to have their husband/father alive during the course of their life and therein lay the true tragedy. Thank you!
Update 11: gem2477 ~ Interesting there is not description for QE I; is this because there is so much to choose from within her lifetime or are you still pondering. I like your list as well btw and thank you for sharing here!
Update 12: Andrew ~ your comments are above "gem2477" Yahoo must have had a glitch or something because all I saw on your name was "?" as opposed to "Andrew" that just posted. Thank you again.
Update 13: eldots53 ~ really enjoyed all facets of your answer and the people you have chosen to boot! I especially like your description of John Adams as he is a favorite of mine and I have to admit you made me chuckle in that one as well ~ I completely agree with you. The fiesty man from Boston was quite tone setter for... show more eldots53 ~ really enjoyed all facets of your answer and the people you have chosen to boot! I especially like your description of John Adams as he is a favorite of mine and I have to admit you made me chuckle in that one as well ~ I completely agree with you. The fiesty man from Boston was quite tone setter for this nation and one I very much admire amongst the Founding Fathers of the Nation. Thank you so much for your input and showing up here!
Update 14: Will ~ many, many good pieces of information here. Amazes me when History is "good" in this forum just how "good" it truly can be. As a good Brit I am curious if you ever heard of Judah P. Benjamin ~ he wrote a fascinating book as a barrister under Queen Victoria's court. Anyway, you have a... show more Will ~ many, many good pieces of information here. Amazes me when History is "good" in this forum just how "good" it truly can be. As a good Brit I am curious if you ever heard of Judah P. Benjamin ~ he wrote a fascinating book as a barrister under Queen Victoria's court. Anyway, you have a good mix of people and I especially like the first entry you wrote; this woman was a truly an unsung hero! Thank you for sharing all that you did. Try to keep it to your 12 though as this could go on and on ~ I realize "10" is tough as stated so eloquently by "eldots53" above you.
Update 15: Mike H ~ Wow! DaVinci, Charlemagne, Edison, Patton, TR, RR, and honorable mentions...."10" isn't enough is it? Most struggled here thus far as did yourself ~ a true sign of genius and genuine interest. So much to learn and merely little time my friend! Your descriptions are sincere, and up front and... show more Mike H ~ Wow! DaVinci, Charlemagne, Edison, Patton, TR, RR, and honorable mentions...."10" isn't enough is it? Most struggled here thus far as did yourself ~ a true sign of genius and genuine interest. So much to learn and merely little time my friend! Your descriptions are sincere, and up front and I very much appreciate your great effort here in this regard! Thank you for sharing your knowledge!