Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 7 years ago

I'm a failure in life since graduating high school, what do I do?

I recently graduated 2 months ago. I'm 18 years old. My parents are starting to get on my case now because I have nothing going for myself. I go to community college and I already have 19 credits because 18 of them transferred from high school and I just earned one. I've been applying for jobs, but with everything being online and all it's hard to get an interview. I've only had one job interview for a fast food because they had a job fair and I didn't get the job because their location was not hiring. I go to class everyday. I play videogames because that's the only thing I can do because I don't have a lot of money. I'm not a troublemaker I stay at home most of the time and rarely go out. I know now's not the time to play videogames, but I don't play until the evening until I've done my school and job stuff. I know things are going bad and I'm trying to think about what I'm going to do with myself. My parents drag me along with them everywhere they go and treat me like I'm a kid which takes away from my thinking time. I can never get a break because they always want to do family stuff. I'm just trying to get some space right now so I can think and I can't even get that. My dad keeps telling me join the military,but I don't think I'm ready I've talked with a recruiter and I just don't know. I want to join the military because I want too and not because my parents told me too. If I joined because of that I would go in and probably hate it. for now I don't think the military's for me. with so much stuff going on right now it's hard for me to take it all in and think with all the stress. Any advice on what to do? or what you did after graduating?

Favorite Answer

I think that, perhaps, your parents have an unrealistic picture in their mind of the current job market. It's very difficult for people your age to get something nowadays, since so many people have been unemployed for so long and are now applying for everything possible. Telling them probably won't help, but parents are like that :-)

That said, perhaps make an appointment to just speak to a recruiter, if you are even considering the military. You can get some more information and perhaps appease your father for a little while. Once you've spoken to the recruiter, you will be in a better mindset to decide if the military might be right for you. If it's not, then take a step back and think realistically about what you want to do and how you can get there.

I was very much like you when I graduated. I wanted to make my own decisions and no one could tell me differently. Now that I'm 30, I wish that I knew then what I know now, it would have been a lot easier to do the "normal" thing, go to college, etc. But it all worked out. You will find your way. Good luck.

I got a part time job at a full service restaraunt which seems to br thr only type of business these days. Sounds like were in the same boat, and I graduated a year ago. I would say just finish college for a better job like how Im doing. The military is school but do your research on them. Alot of what goes on in the military is not what its cracked up to be in the fine print. They can promise you the world, but wont let you see from what point of view until its too late and youve signed those enlistment papers. Just be careful.

If you join the military, i think they pay for school. In there, you can learn a skill which can apply to a job after you are done with service. You can also put military service on your resume, and get a good career. As long as you are trying in school, you aren't a failure because you are TRYING!

Don't worry. My brother got a job after his 2nd, year of college. Its hard to get a job :/ Your story reminds me of him. Haha. Just continue to look for a job and volunteer places because if your good the place might hire you.

Go to college - for real college, where you live in a dorm and get out of your parents' house.