promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Should Free Speech ever have it's restrictions?

Don't get me wrong, I'm so grateful to live in a nation where speech is my right... But please read below:

Like come on, the Westboro Baptist Church abuses the system to protest against the American Governments Military at military FUNERALS and the right to same-sex marriage by protesting at their FUNERALS. They had plans on protesting the Colorado batman shooting and that time those little Amish girls that died. They've protested thousands of funerals.

Why shouldnt their freedom of speech be limited in those cases? Of course they can SAY what they want, but why should they be allowed to abuse the system and protest it?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm generally anti-censorship, but there are occasions where freedom of speech infringes upon the health and safety of others.

Take, for example, "rape jokes." If told around rape victims, they often have PTSD-related reactions to them. In those cases, it's not a matter of being "offended" (as many idiots will say) but about preventing victims from being "triggered."

It makes me extremely angry when people are selfish enough to say "it's not my problem if rape victims react that way." There really are some selfish, apathetic, and insensitive people in this world - not to mention IGNORANT.

Edit: Wow, thumbs down? So...triggering a rape victim is a RIGHT now? You guys are so f*cked up in the head. Get a book on PTSD and "triggers" and THEN try to disagree with me. As*holes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

By definition, "free speech" should NEVER have any restrictions. One restriction means it's not "free" anymore.

However, these people are using poor judgment.

If they really want to complain about the Govt's actions they need to do it in DC, not at soldier's funerals.

• Torgo
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Like any other freedom, your freedom ends where my freedom begins. They are free to protest those funerals, but they have to maintain a certain distance. They even went to the US Supreme Court and won the right to protest.

Also, maybe you need to realize that the 1st amendment really only protects unpopular speech. If you say things that everyone agrees with, you really don't need your speech to be protected, do you? Since only unpopular people need this protection, it is very easy for the majority to claim that they are 'abusing' their right to free speech. In this sense, the only people who exercise their right to free speech are the ones who appear to be abusing it, and this is exactly how the people who wrote the constitution wanted it to be.

• That's a tough one because who draws the line and once a line is drawn it isn't exactly "free" any longer. What if we just frown upon the insensitive morons like we always have? Everyone knows they exist. The Phelps cult can be nailed with harassment when they picket gay funerals, so there is no need to oppress free speech.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

confident, regrettably, many human beings look to hard artwork under the conviction that there is one set of regulations for them and yet another thoroughly diverse set of regulations for each guy or woman else. generally that is a similar people who carry forth approximately equality for each guy or woman and attractiveness and know for all ideals and life, yet it is only as long as those perspectives coincide with their own. They champion over OUR rights to loose speech as long as what you could desire to assert has a similar opinion with THEIR attitude, yet once you're taking a diverse stand, then they element the finger and paint you some style of fanatic. What am i able to assert? human beings do no longer want to work out you won't be able to have it the two strategies, needing fairness and democracy in basic terms while that is to their benefit and not while that is not any longer.

• 8 years ago

The problem is that unpopular speech is the only kind that needs protecting. Hence it's absurd to say that Westboro Baptist Church doesn't deserve free speech because..hey, what they say is offensive.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yes. It is, it just takes a valid complaint and a strong prosecution. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, but it is not some right to yell fire in a crowded theater.

• 8 years ago

Yes

• 8 years ago

free speech is a principle, if you start removing arbitrarily you become a tyrant, however freedom of speech is supercede by the law so you cant do something illegal and say your freedom isnt respected

• 8 years ago

Of course it should have certain restrictions . . .

"The Historical Development of Freedom of Speech"

http://watchtower.org/e/19960722/article_01.htm

"Freedom of Speech---Is It Being Abused?" Yes!

http://watchtower.org/e/19960722/article_02.htm

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.