Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 8 years ago

Are people allowed to have exotic pets in MA.?

i live in MA. and i want to get a fennec fox cuz

Ive seen people on youtube owning them.

If not where can i own one?

Update:

I want to know cuz i only want a fennec fox no other exotic pet

Also do you need a permit/license to own one?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Dangers of Keeping Exotic “Pets”

Exotic animals — lions, tigers, wolves, bears, reptiles, non-human primates — belong in their natural habitat and not in the hands of private individuals as “pets.” By their very nature, these animals are wild and potentially dangerous and, as such, do not adjust well to a captive environment.

Because the majority of states do not keep accurate records of exotic animals entering their state, it is impossible to determine exactly how many exotic animals are privately held as pets. The number is estimated to be quite high. Certainly 6,000 to 7,000 tigers are held by private individuals.

The American Veterinary Medical Association, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have all expressed opposition to the possession of certain exotic animals by individuals.

Exotic animals do not make good companions. They require special care, housing, diet, and maintenance that the average person cannot provide. When in the hands of private individuals the animals suffer due to poor care. They also pose safety and health risks to their possessors and any person coming into contact with them.

Individuals possessing exotic animals often attempt to change the nature of the animal rather than the nature of the care provided. Such tactics include confinement in small barren enclosures, chaining, beating “into submission,” or even painful mutilations, such as declawing and tooth removal. SO I WOULD GUESS NOT.

Source(s): Animal-Expert
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.