I have a 10 hour layover in rome...can i see anything?

i will be landing at 8am in rome and was wondering if i would be able to see anything worth while in that limited amount of time. my worry is that given the fact that I would have to be back at the airport at least an hour before my next flight now I am down to 8 1/2 hours and what happens if i land late, then... show more i will be landing at 8am in rome and was wondering if i would be able to see anything worth while in that limited amount of time. my worry is that given the fact that I would have to be back at the airport at least an hour before my next flight now I am down to 8 1/2 hours and what happens if i land late, then thats more time taken off the clock. im worried that ill get to a point where it wont be worth it and ill just have to wait out the layover in the airport.

also how much would it cost me to take a cab from the airport to Vatican city or the Colosseum...and how far apart are those two things?

thank you in advance