What insect bite is this?

My wife was bitten on her left breast, probably during sleep. At first we couldn't see bite marks since it became a rash and was scabby looking but now that the rash has slightly gone away, it's been 3 days and she has this circular redness that is swelled around 2 bite marks. The bite marks are a little more than half a centimeter apart so i'm guessing it was a large insect.

From the red swelling, there's a stringy line coming from the center.

Well it's been itching and it slightly hurts her and today we were cleaning our room and she had an excruciating pain from the top of her breast where the line extends, down to the bottom which is close to where the insect bite is. She said it felt so bad she thought she was going to fall to the floor but she had to sit down and we were planning on taking her to the hospital but we're very short on funds and we're not sure what this is.

It hasn't changed in size, no larger no smaller. It's just as red and it slightly hurts on a constant level.

The extreme pain she had earlier today was the first time so far.

We've seen quite a few wold spiders lately and we live in Virginia so i'm not sure what is exactly native to this area. But she woke up with this after sleeping.

Any clue?

Update:

Daniel G, spiders do bite sleeping humans. Say a spider so happens to crawl in your bed, you roll or are disturbed by the feeling and wipe away at it. Spiders usually bite when threatened so..

Anyways, I asked about it being a staff infection previously but after seeing two bite marks it seems obvious. MRSA is very similar to the string like effect though this definitely seems nothing like mrsa

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, spiders don't bite sleeping humans, this notion is just hyperbole.

Your wife's injury sounds more like a skin condition, likely a staph infection.

These are common, and often mistaken for bites.

I might suggest she have this examined by a dermatologist or doctor, as some of these infections can become severe,such as MRSA.

Source(s): UC Irvine, entomology
  • 8 years ago

It's been so many days, it should have changed one way or the other. Try making a paste of baking soda and water and applying that for 10 mins at a time, repeat if needed. On a fresh bite it'd work in mins. Normally if it was a bad spider bite, the area around the wound would die, becoming black.

• 8 years ago

I would suggest making a paste out of baking soda and water and apply it to the area.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.