Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 8 years ago

I have a question for all of you experienced long distance runners out there!?

I've recently upped my mileage from 6 miles per day, to between 9 and 12. I've been running for almost 5 years now, so it's something my body is rather conditioned for. I make it a point to consume (healthy sources of) protein, fats and sugar, to fuel my body and preserve/build my muscle. I also make sure that I stay hydrated, and that I take care of my muscles both before and after I run, to prevent damage. I make sure to include rest days when need be, and I also enjoy other forms of working out, especially cardio.

That being said, for those of you who run long distances rather frequently, is there anything else I should keep in mind/invest in? I know proper running form, and proper breathing, but is there anything you recommend to avoid injury, or complications with increasing my mileage?

*I am really only looking for responses from people who are very knowledgeable about the human body, and those who have much experience in distance running. Please and thank you!

Favorite Answer

That is a big difference going from 6 miles to 9 or 12 per day.

You should limit your long days to once or twice a week for a month or so, because even though you are conditioned to running 6 miles you are talking about increasing your average by 50% to 100% more each day.

It is very likely you will break down or have some nagging injury if you do this.

It is very important to cool down and stretch after running, and have protein within 2 hours.

A massage every week or two will also help you recover.

Your age is a big factor, when I was in my 30s and early 40s running 10 miles per day was no big deal, but now in my 60s it is a very big deal.

• Yeti

Mainly listen to your body for warning signs. You should know by now what's normal and what's not.

You may need to watch your diet for deficiencies that can creep in. Your protein intake might come up a bit, for example. And some women who do lots of endurance running develop iron deficiency. If you start feeling very lethargic that could be it, but because excess iron is toxic and the body can't excrete what it doesn't need, don't do supplements without a doctor's supervision.

You'll just generally be at risk for overuse injuries -- you might find your body getting a little worn down and not fully repairing itself. Don't hesitate to take days off, especially if you get overtraining signs like insomnia/night sweats, soreness that doesn't go away, etc. And the importance of stretching after runs (and consuming protein/carbs within 30 minutes for better repair) probably goes up.

I'd personally be making sure to rotate shoes with that many miles, too.

The big main thing with that much daily mileage is if you have that much time to train, you'll usually get more out of throwing in cross-training, etc., rather than just doing a ton of running.

Seems like your a little "overworried" about injury. Since you have been running for that long, your body is used to natural running motion so the only way you would injure yourself is by falling. I didn't see "stretching" in your paragraph so try to incorporate stretch before and after you run, it WILL make you a better athlete. Also at the gym try to squat with as much weight as you can (push yourself!) and do other leg lifts. Dont worry so much about your diet, of course dont go eating cakes and cookies all day, but you dont have to be that strict on it. Protein shakes are a great after workout recovery supplement to take, should look into taking them if your interested.

Source(s): Football Player, Summer Conditioning, Track Team

i am on my cross country team's varsity squad and i have been running since i was 7

i have had many injury's because of my running and i have learned how to take better care of myself, and i have now not been injured in over 3 years

make sure you do some sprint workouts to help continue muscle confusion >> will keep you in better shape

the stronger your core is the easier it is to run

get something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-PTRoller-Athletics-R... to stretch out your muscles, the most important part to rub is your outer thigh to prevent the common "tband" injury

for increasing mileage, make sure you take a day off each week to relax your muscles, and buy new running shoes every 200-300 miles

hope this helps!

When you are finished running and you are walking it off I would recommend you walk backwards for 15 minutes three times a week. It works your senses, it works your quads, and even though you will have a high heart rate as it is it will keep your heart rate up higher than what normal walking would. So if you like you can add that in.

Also something else I do is known as one leg squats or otherwise known as pistols, do those to help strength your legs.

If you want you can pm me for any other questions you have. Take care and hope this helped you!