Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 8 years ago

Is it right that women on average do 75% of the housework and childcare?

Personally speaking, I'd much rather be the one out making the money than the one stuck home wiping up snot all day. Maybe it's "busting your ***" if you do some kind of manual labor, but I went to college and got a career I actually enjoy.

Athena what century do you live in? I don't know any men in my generation that know the first thing about plumbing unless they are plumbers. Most don't even mow their own lawns if they even have lawns. There isn't any such thing as "gendered chores" anymore.

Favorite Answer

They do?

What's your source of information? .... or is it just your opinion that they do that much of it?

It's a lot more complex than that.

As a stay at home mom I do 99% of the housework and childcare. If I were working my share of housework and childcare would be directly proportionate to how many hours I'm working versus how many my husband works. If I work part time I can expect to do anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the housework. If I work as much as my husband, it's 50/50.

I do NOT think it's right for a man and a woman to both work a full time job of similar physical activity and hours and the woman still be expected to do most or all of the housework.

It's all down to precedents. The reason most women wind up doing the snot wiping, nappy changing, child rearing thing is because a) men have historically not seen it as their role and b) in general men earn more than women, despite equal opportunities and gender equality legislation, therefore if one income is going to be sacrificed, it makes economic sense for it to be the lower one.

The rot sets in during the post natal period when the woman is at home doing the initial child rearing thing whilst everything settles.

The last statistic I read on this was that they did almost two thirds, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it's right.

I don't think it's necessarily right or wrong. What works for people, works for people. There are also many more stay at home mothers than fathers. What I think is wrong is the *expectation* that the fathers are the primary bread winners or that mothers are the primary caretakers.

Ideally, both people in a relationship would do roughly the same amount of work or put in the same amount of effort. However, as much as I think what's equal is fair, I wouldn't pass a law on it or anything… I'd just be vocal.

-----

Imo, it's better for relationships to not have kids to begin with. Perhaps that's too individualistic, perhaps it's selfish, but I don't really think putting yourself and your partner ahead of a nonexistent person is selfish.

Statistics show the childfree tend to be more educated, modern, and unconventional (in terms of traditional gender roles).

100% childfree.

I dont know about right.

I have however observed a remarkable phenomenon, since separating from my husband, the amount of housework I do hasnt increased at all, in fact it has decreased since he has our children two days during the week, yet he would have argued that he did half the housework.

I'm willing to hear any explanation that people may have to offer.

• Sue B

When I was married and a stay at home mom, I felt it was my job to do so, since the hubby was out busting his *** to give us a good living. I not only took care of the home and kids, I did all the lawn work and mechanical needs on any of our cars.

BUT if the woman is out working too, then it should be 50 50

Fancy seeing you in this category!

I don't know if that is an exact percentage. I don't conduct census-type surveys and do averages or percentages.

I am currently a SAHM, and I love it, but I am also a student, working now towards my Bachelor's degree, so that I can have a career in order to support my family. I'll probably still do housework, though.

• Athena

Well, you have to fill us in a little more.

For example, you want your husband to do 100% of HIS work and then 50% of yours also?

Why do we always b@tch that he does not do our work when we never want to crawl under the house to fix the plumbing? Why do we only see "balance" as helping us with our chores and never what each brings to the relationship?

I work full time and so does my husband. I do 100% of the housework because he is lazy.

You bet my a$$ I wouldn't be doing ALL the cooking, cleaning, dishes, grocery, putting things away, laundry, AND child care all day, every day along with working outside of home then put out at night. some things need to be shared and my husband and I found what works for us.