My friends have no idea who these people are (Kurt Cobain, Axl Rose, Slash, etc)?

They are all teenyboppers obsessed with Justin Bieber.

They don't know Radiohead, Nirvana Guns N Roses, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, or any amazingly, && TRULY talented bands && artists are.

That's it, I've completely lost hope for good taste in the world.

Okay, well, how do explain who all these musical icons are??

Thanks. -________- goddamn Justin Bieber ruined the world.

• Alexa
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, I know how you feel, my friends are exactly the same way. But I got over it, most people in my grade don't have a clue about rock but I don't care anymore because there are those few that do. Seriously, you should've seen my face when my friend remembered Mick Jagger is the lead singer of the Rolling Stones. I was so proud of her since she listens to One Direction and even dubstep.

I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber than Guns N Roses. Oddly, I imagine Kurt Cobain would probably feel the same.

It's funny how this stuff works. In the early '90s, Nirvana was very much a reaction against (and rejection of) stadium butt-rock bands like GNR (hell, their feud is notorious). Nirvana was here to save the world from trashy crap like GNR which had dominated the airwaves. Now, 20 years later, they're both lumped together as great artists of a bygone era. It's a little funny.

Anyway, your opinion isn't empirical. If someone likes Justin Bieber, so what? Do you think kids in the '70s listened to Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday, and Miles Davis? People like whatever they like, and kids will generally like whatever's exciting to them, which will usually be what's new (and rightfully so). Just remember that if kids in the '70s listened to artists from 10-20-30 years earlier instead of what was current, then all of those "classic" artists you listed never would have been successful, and likewise would now be long forgotten. And also bear in mind that was the era of the Cassidy boys, Bobby Sherman, etc... ie: the Biebers of yesteryear. So it's not like Bieber is anything new. People have LONG listened to artists just like him. The difference between then and now is that other people showed an interest in what was current outside of that, and thus allowed all the bands you mentioned to build their legend. Now, with people like you who are only interested in the past and too sheltered to even recognize the existence of current artists outside of that bubble, "great" bands don't really stand a chance. Bieber (or Tiffany or Cassidy or Sherman) fans have always existed. They're irrelevant... that niche has always been there. But it's the shift creating more and more people like you that's ultimately detrimental to modern music/"good" music getting any attention.

• Rigby

Explain to them that Kurt Cobain copied The Melvins, but played their music slower, then made a popular album that was the pop equivalent of sludge music, then killed himself because he was a bipolar heroin addict.

Guns n Roses was a hair metal band that was only moderately popular because of their poppy material, then they all got mad at each other, and now they all make terrible music separately.

Queen was a band that got more famous off their image and for a very radio friendly sound than their truly good songs and the lead singer died of an STD.

Tell them Led Zeppelin was a band that literally stole music from black blues musicians and other lesser known bands they toured with.

The Beatles are a band that was initially famous for being famous (Beatlemania) then released a load of pop rock that was identical to everyone else at the time, then they made a bunch of boring, over produced, over financed material that people namedrop when they want people to mindlessly say "You've got good taste in music!"

Pink Floyd is a band that relied too heavily on the aesthetics of their music and tried too hard to put substance in their music and failed to create anything that provides a rewarding musical experience.

Plus, like I've said millions of times, every era of music had pop music, not just this era. Stop whining and stop trying so goddamn hard to get people to pat you on the back and make you feel special. This isn't Youtube, there aren't a bunch of mindless drones who know nothing about music to give your comment a thumbs up.

Sir, not everyone is a teenybopper obsessed with Justin Bieber. And his music had absolutely no effect on the sound of other older artists; how could it? I suggest you stop caring about what your friends listen to and what they don't. They do not have to know about artists YOU think are gods that MUST be worshipped. I bet they don't even care, so don't even bother explaining; you'd just be wasting your time.

you are just like every other classic rock teen fan out there

"everyone in my generation listens to pop. I'm the only one that listens to GOOD music. I know what REAL music is"

good taste? that is completely subjective. to me good music is done by Bach or Chopin or Jason Becker.

Nirvana's music is incredibly simplistic. I used to be a big Nirvana fan until I started to become a more talented musician. then songs by Guns N Roses, Nirvana, ACDC etc got boring.

you really don't know what you're talking about

Cobain. Higher singer,higher songwriter, better musician. Axl Rose annoys me to demise, recover from your self Axl your glory days are over "chinese Democracy? 15 year watch for that? Haha what a funny story.

Just because you like classic rock, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Do you know who Exodus are? How about My Dying Bride? Or maybe even Agalloch?

Most likely, the answers are "no". Now, what if I unfairly judged your music taste?

That's what you're doing here, and it's rather mean.

With the Internet now, everyone should read up on the music from previous eras.

The Beatles wrote some of the best songs ever and are one of my favorite bands of all time.

Do you want a trophy or something? You're not special. Plenty of kids like rock and old music.

So agree with you - someone actually said the BEATLES were OVER-rated the other day on here - the question got deleted - presumably because it go lambasted for its ignorance.

Taste is in the gutter these days - TV and Music...