Kirsty asked in SportsOlympics · 8 years ago

I'm thinking about taking up rifle and air pistol shooting or archery but am I too old to go professional?

I'm thinking about taking up rifle and air pistol shooting or archery but am I too old to go professional? ?

Hi. I'm 16 (Almost 17) and I am thinking about taking up rifle and air pistol shooting as a hobby but hopefully go professional. I've been inspired by the Olympics. But am I too old to start it to become pro? If I am too old to start it, Archery is another option but am I too old for this too?

Favorite Answer

How about going to a club, trying each sport, and establishing whether you enjoy one of them, or possibly both of them? Doing stuff for pleasure: that's the 'hobby' element, see?

The club will have competitions. If you find within a few years that you're the best at the club then you obviously have an aptitude for the event. Move to a bigger club. Repeat several times until you're one of the best in your country, then see what happens.

All this depends on you continuing to ENJOY what you're doing.

There's no rush. Plenty of archers and shooters are well into middle age.

Not sure about this 'professional' thing, though. Do you honestly believe these people are paid a living wage for what they do?

I dont think so