Time Travel: Changing the Past?

While time travelling, will you want to change the past? By changing it, History will be different. But, by changing it, will History be much better?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike K
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hello,

No. Say I went back and killed Hitler on the street in the early 20's. I as well as my whole family would cease to exist as my parents, uncles and aunts all met and married due to the circumstances of WW II bringing them together. You'd save 60 million but also kill off most of the baby boomers.

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

• Athena
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Speculatively speaking . . .

While today is the final result of all that has happened in the past, altering some events then would probably not change today noticeably. For example, if I went back a week ago and bought the last issue of a magazine you were about to purchase, you would not have read that magazine then and you would not have the knowledge you have now. How would not knowing JaLo's current status affect your postings today?

On the other hand, my changing your timeline would mean you might go to another store, buy the magazine , and affect someone elses timeline. The affect would ripple through time like waves on a pond, but again, how would that change the rest of your week?

Now, you could go back and change major event in an attempt to make things "better." But you are assuming that things are "bad" only becasue of that one event. If you stopped the German Holocaust, for example, there is a lot of evidence that France would have done the same thing.

If you killed Hitler and stopped WW2, then there would be no GI bill allowing a whole generation of low income men and women to go to college, fundamentally changing the social and political landscape of the 1960s and beyond. Segregation would continue for another generation halting the progress of an entire people. What is the "better" outcome?

History is like an avalanche. You can go back and change the course of a few rocks, maybe save a house, but the basic events will still continue.

Read "Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury, or watch the Original movie "The Butterfly Affect."

Both have an interesting take on your question.

• 8 years ago

If, you change the past. Your reason for doing so will be erased. Therefor your travel into the past will not occur. You will not know you've done so.

Say you wish to save RMS Titanic and it's passengers? You go back and succeed. Now, if you built the Time Machine to specifically save the ship? You'd likely awake with the Time Machine not even invented. Not even in your head to do so. Now, if you had made the machine just to make a machine? It'd still be there. But, you'd awake with a new purpose. Being RMS Titanic would be just one more old steamship. Scrapped along side her sister ship. In the 1930's or 40's.

You would not know if History was any better for the saving of Titanic. Because you'd never know the original timeline ever existed.

I happen to think Time and history can be altered. But, you'd have to make the change further back than the actual event to alter it. Because history has momentum. Once the trigger is going to be pulled. It will be pulled. You have to go further back and change the motivation.

Like Titanic. Once at sail it's about too late. Change the coal strike and you easily save the ship. Kinda like billiards. Hit the right spot for the correct effect.

Yes, History could be improved. But, only you would make that Godlike decision. Then, you'd never know you'd done so. Because you'd be living the altered timeline as if normal. It could be better? Or, far worse. But, you'd still live it as if normal.

Like, I'd dearly like to travel back to 1910 and have a lunch with Kaiser Bill. The idea? Stop the Great War. Well before it even starts. Because it would not be enough to just stop the Arch Duke from dying. You have to stop the motivations that got the war going.

• 8 years ago

Time travel would change things. It does not always mean for the better; it could also be for the worse. Thank goodness it's not possible.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

@ Everyone saying it's impossible...

Theoretical physics suggests that through wormholes one might be able to travel backwards in time. However, Steven Hawking has stated that any change that occured through traveling backwards in time would destroy the wormhole.

@OP

I don't have any strong feelings of major historical events that I would change. Maybe some personal regrets that I would change though.

• 8 years ago

Impossible - theoretical time travel suggest going forward in time is possible but not backwards.

However you would have to achieve light speed for this to happen, therein lies the problem as the closer you get to light speed the more energy you need.

• Art
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

You can't change the past, it's the old paradox. You change anything in the past it will change something in the future will not allow you to be back in the past changing anything.

• 8 years ago

chanGe: repent: is about flushing time past,

by flushing law as dung, to 'purge' all things.

only then: when no law, then no sin imputed,

does it get perfectly graceful, merciful, peaceful

anything less, like 'almost purge all things',

mentioned in Hebrews 9:22, about sacrifice,

well, it still counts as 'nothing' in 1Cor 13:1-3.

so then, perhaps we should stop perceiving

the Bible as literal or historical, but allegorical

for only what began can end. law began, twice,

as beginning of fear hath torment, then again,

as beginning of sorrows noted in Matthew 24.

eternal grace has neither beginning nor end,

neither beginning of days nor end of life. selah.

so the end of times and time travel already written

notably has no mention of law, only of grace, and

more specifically the JC grace, not Noahic grace,

for JC grace is with you all, Noahic grace wasn't.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Wrong section.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I believe that's impossible. Einstein predicted you could only go FORWARD in time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.