Could governments do a lot to alter the situation of the homeless?

Favorite Answer

I'd rather the government spend more money on the best and brightest. That's more bang for the buck.

I suppose they could, but it is really their place? I believe the government interferes in things they've got no right to as it is. I know it sounds like a dream come true, government swooping down and fixing all the ills of society, but would it be? No. Just look at what the current Welfare programs have become. You've got to want to better your situation, but now we have so many people just living off the government, not because it's impossible to better their lives, but because they can.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of homeless people don't have the will to better themselves. A lot of them are alcoholics or drug addicts, and before those particular people can even conceive of a better life, they have to make the decision to put the addiction to bed, to live above it. A lot of homeless people are mentally ill. You know the saying? Crazy people don't know they're crazy? Those people would have to accept that something's not right, and want to get help, to get better, before anything will improve. The government can't fix these problems. Money is not the only issue there is in regards to the homeless problem. It's so much deeper than that. The government already offers programs to help with this.....is it working?

No homeless people are usually deadbeats anyway that chose that life for themselves and don't intend on changing. Its pathetic that people sit there digging trash everyday, I know damn well they can find a job SOMEWHERE. They sleep outside mcdonalds,why not work there? They can get damn jobs and eventually become halfway a productive citizen, they just don't try. I say let them take my empty soda cans and rot.

Source(s): Life is what they make it.

You should ask what homeless can do to help themselves!

They could just grind them up.