fish asked in Social SciencePsychology · 8 years ago

Are they introverted, or do they just not like you?

Why do people keep equating introversion with shyness? Is this because shy people keep calling themselves introverts, like fat girls call themselves thick? Those are 2 different things.

I'm an introvert, I don't like small talk, I've given speeches, preformed on stage, played sports, in front of 100+ people and lead large groups of peers and haven't broke a sweat.

But I don't give a $hit what you ate for breakfast, or the silly $hit that happened the other day. How does that equal shyness. Is it just difficult for americans to comprehend someone who doesn't want to, or dare I say PREFER not to speak to them, or be spoken to?

Why does America value extroversion, while country like china and japan value introversion?

Your question is sort of a statement. I don't know if this interests you but a psychologist called Eysenk found three characteristics of personality. One was neurotic, in simple terms how much of a nutcase you are. Another I think was how much of a thrill seeker you are. The third was introversion versus extroversion. So people are using a psychological term interchangeably with the word shy because they are not trained or qualified to know the difference.

Introverts don't necessarily not want to speak to people. Many love social interaction. It just means after being social, they need to be alone for a bit to recharge. Shyness and introversion are not the same thing, and I've never heard them compared.

Different places value different things. Many countries value curvier females appearance wise as that means they are well fed and healthier, where as in America for some odd reason we value very skinny girls. It's just the different cultures.

Contradiction.