My ear has been ringing for weeks. dizziness, vertigo. what to do?

To start things off, I am 19 years old. When summer started up i was starting to get a feeling of fullness, which would somewhat seem to muffle my hearing in some cases, and would occasionally make me get extremely dizzy(vertigo, not lightheadedness) and nauseous. After the first night of throwing up i knew i had to go to the doctor. My parents are self pay, so trips to the doc arent very frequent. I have never had any problems, i have healthy blood pressure, no injuries, im very active, and i watch what i eat. The first time i went to urgent care they gave me some allergy meds because sometimes allergies can make your ears ring/feel full. These did not help, I just dealt with it hoping it would go away and then about two weeks of me just dealing with it, i got extremely strong symptoms of vertigo where i was throwing up all night, the next morning i went straight to urgent care... and had absolutely no signs of dizziness. The doctor did all sorts of tests testing my dizziness, reflexes, blood pressure etc, and from what she saw i was completely healthy. She did see some greenish slime in my throat and nose so she put me on some antibiotics to help clear that out, thinking it may possibly be caused by a sinus infection that was never treated. The pills she put me on for 10 days was called Cefdinir. And a nasal spray. The pills really helped, and or the first time in weeks my ears stopped ringing. Directly after finishing out my prescription my ear started feeling full again and has been slightly ringing. It was recommended that i go and see an ENT doc of course, but with my parents being self pay, its almost a last resort since it will be very expensive to see a specialist.

Im sorry if i have been rambling, im trying to be as descriptive as possible. After doing loads of my own research i have a good feeling it is an inner ear infection, since (from what i have heard) doctors cannot see an inner ear infection without doing a scan of my head or something along those lines.

My main question is, what can i do to help my ear "fullness" and ringing while i wait to go to the ENT? and can an inner ear infection be self diagnosed? If anyone has ever had these problems, or knows of anyone having the same problems PLEASE let me know. Im going insane with my ear feeling like it needs to pop. Thanks for anyone who leaves me some feedback

• izzy
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like a middle ear infection, your doctors have prescribed meds to reduce nasal congestion. The middle ear is connected to the back of the nose by the Eustachian tube. This tiny tube should open briefly when we yawn or swallow to allow secretions to drain from the middle ear.

If there is congestion in the nasal lining it can't open, so secretions collect, can become infected, causing muffled hearing, feeling dizzy, and tinnitus (noises in the ear).

Cefdinir is an antibiotic which kills bacteria, but if you had/have a viral infection will have no effect.

If the spray you had was a steroid one, that is to reduce inflammation.

Pharmacies sell decongestant sprays, but it's unwise to use the for more than 3 - 4 days or you get rebound congestion, which is difficult to treat. Sudafed is a decongestant tablet (pharmacy again). I'm prejudiced against them because they make me feel ill!

You can get antihistamines from a pharmacy, I know you said they didn't help, but they do reduce nasal congestion which might help.

That deals with a possible allergy or infection.

Feeling dizzy and nauseous, vomiting, could be caused by otitis media (middle ear infection).

It can also be caused by an infection of the inner ear (most often viral) - labyrinthitis - for which there is no guaranteed treatment. Time usually heals.

Read through the links, but don't scare yourself.

It's impossible to give you a proper diagnosis, we can only speculate.

I hope you feel better soon, I had labyrinthitis once and for weeks afterwards kept veering to the left!

• Todd

Having suffered from vestibular migraine for years. I can really appreciate when someone understands a sufferer's frustration, worry and despair. The Ultimate Vertigo Protocol is like having a real human guide you to a vertigo free life. As soon as I started to apply the method, I have noticed improvements. Now, 7 days later, it feels like living a miracle. I would highly recommend this book to I anyone with vertigo & dizziness

Treats Root Cause of Dizziness?

This could be tinnitus you have here. It's characterized by ringing in the ear and nausea as well as general feelings of sickness. I would see another doctor or go to the ER as soon as possible.

• Gilda

the material of some earrings causes things such as itchiness, swelling, or dizziness or it may be just because your ears aren't that resistant to piercings

Have you tried Tinnitus Miracle system? Start here : http://tinnitusgogo.com/ . This could certainly support anybody!