? asked in PetsOther - Pets · 8 years ago

i need a natural flea killer?

i have a crawling baby and need to know how to kill fleas a natural way. we bombed the house last night, i woke up this morning with 10 fleas on my socks. i dont want to bomb again. it's too much work to clean up afterwards. i dont have much money. i need natural solutions.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Dust your carpets and upholstered furniture with diatomaceous earth. Put it under the cushions too. It is a fine white powder that will scratch the exoskeleton of the fleas and cause them to dehydrate and die (same for ants). Dust your cats/dogs with it too. It is safe for them. Just don't let them inhale the dust while you apply it. You can sometimes find it in hardware stores or online. Pool suppliers also sell it to filter pool water. It won't harm your baby as long as it isn't inhaled.

First vacuum all floors, upholstered furniture and drapes. Throw away the vacuum cleaner bag in a closed garbage can so they can't get out. Wash any bare floors with water and vinegar. Vinegar is very acidic and tends to drive insects away.

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • Linda
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Do the dogs currently have fleas or are you looking for a preventative? Unfortunately, most of the natural flea products on the market are not great when heavily challenged. In other words, they can be helpful for indoor dogs who are not at high risk of contracting fleas but if your dogs are exposed to a heavy infestation then the natural products don't seem as effective as the pharmaceutical products. If you're looking for something like this you can make a mix of tea tree oil, peppermint oil and lemon/orange essential oils and just mist on the dog before going out. The essential oils make your dog less attractive to fleas and can help keep them from sticking around. Again - this works best if you're looking at one flea hopping on your pet but this probably won't help if you walk your dogs through a heavily infested area. If your dogs already have fleas you're looking at a whole different issue. For every adult flea you see on your dog there are many, many more eggs that have been laid in your carpet and around your home. The benefit of using pharmaceutical products is that they can target the flea at the various lifecycle stages (i.e., egg, larvae and adult). Natural products tend to be fairly effective at killing off the adults but without getting rid of the eggs you're really not eliminating the infestation - you're just keeping it at bay. The best remedy I've seen for adult fleas is using plain old dish detergent as a shampoo. Lather your dog up really well and let the soap sit for 15-20 minutes. This will kill adult fleas but will do absolutely nothing for any eggs or larvae on your dog or in the environment. If fleas are a serious concern then I would recommend speaking with your vet about the different medications on the market. Many are combined with heartworm preventives so you can kill two birds with one stone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.