Can I major in Musical Theater with no experience?

I am currently about to go into my sophomore year of college and I am majoring in English. I really want to double major in MT, but at the particular school I'm transferring to, you have to audition AND submit a resume of past experience, a headshot, and a recommendation letter from someone who knows your acting pretty well.

I was planning on auditioning for Fall of 2013 (That's when I'm transferring from CC to University), and I was planning to take voice lessons and possibly acting lessons (not necessarily for this, it's something I wanted to do anyway but I realize it will help). So I'm just wondering, let's just say for a second I was an excellent actress and singer and aced that part of the audition. Would I still even be able to be considered if I don't have past experience and don't have a resume to present? And even if I started trying to be in different community productions, I don't know if it would be enough to build a resume, and I don't know if I'd have time because I work and go to school.

I'm willing to sacrifice as much time as I can to be able to pursue this, but I guess I just want to know if I'd even have a chance with no experience. Helpful answers are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Favorite Answer

They will definitely choose Trained and Experienced Actors/Actresses over Non-Experience/Trained Actors/Actresses to win any auditions to the school. Most Theater Arts schools are like that. They avoid having students who change their mind about acting or dropping out. Having experience and training indicates that the student is dedicated versus one who is still curious about acting. Take some acting and even voice lessons before auditioning. You will impress more people in that school like that and you will meet some really important people too.

Hope this helps, and Remember that dedication is the key!

I was a musical theater major with experience and went to a school in Chicago and knew a lot of people there with no experience pursuing it. Some schools you may need to audition with and so your resume but a lot are also open admission. So, YES you can but it really depends on the school.

• Cogito

It's possible - but almost all top drama schools and university-level courses expect their students to have already had a lot of good training and experience.

It's like if you wanted to do a medical degree - you'd have to have already studied all the sciences to a very high standard already.

They don't teach all the basics at college level - just advanced acting.

Get into a good class now, and get into a community theatre as soon as possible.

Good luck!

• drip

Any college with a decent theater department is going to require you to audition. A theater major takes up a lot of your free time.

• dierks

As a musical theatre substantial at maximum places, Dancing would desire to be your maximum effective factor. next comes voice, then appearing. till you're god (how they placed it right here) along with your voice, you will desire to be an exquisite dancer. maximum of your artwork is actual artwork. additionally, you're worked all day. it somewhat is a problematic substantial, and you will compelled to spend 8 hours an afternoon dancing-- thats only what we do. So, while you're prepared to commit each and every of the time you have before you pass to college to brushing up on your dancng, and you're led to to attain this, via all ability, DO IT! Musical theatre desires extra committed, properly rounded human beings. yet once you're actually not prepared to artwork to be the two gifted in all 3 aspects, do no longer. substantial in theatre and minor is track or something of that style. have exciting in in spite of you do decide for, and welcome to the craft.