Sarah asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

"Thank you sister" in icelandic?

Please help native icelandic speakers! What is the proper way to say "thank you, sister" in icelandic? I do not trust online translators!

Favorite Answer

you could say:

"thank you, my beloved sister"

"takk fyrir, elsku systir mín"

or

"thank you, my little/big sister"

"takk fyrir, litla/stóra systir mín"

that would not sound strange in English nor Icelandic.

Source(s): brain

"Thank you sister" in icelandic?

@ B K: That's true, but then again, people don't generally say "Thank you sister" in English. It's usually either just "Thank you" or "Thank you, <nickname>". Icelandic sounds, to a person who grows up speaking English, very old-fashioned, like old English (for a reason; it's changed much slower than most other European languages - it's rather fascinating that way). You often say (various declined forms of) things like "systir mín" (sister-mine), "mamma mín" (mother-mine), or even refer to friends that way - for example, "Karen mín" (Karen-mine). Modern English never uses those noun-adjective forms, and rarely uses the adjective-noun forms when addressing the person in question (I.e., you can say "I gave it to my sister" but rarely would you say "I gave it to you, my sister" - and you'd almost never say "I gave it to my Karen"! :) ).

It's kind of funny, but what the person wanted translated from English to Icelandic actually sounds more natural in Icelandic than it does in English. :)

• B K

More importantly would be, what does it mean in English? No one calls their sister "sister".

Thank you, sister. - is what you would say to a nun.

@þjarki If you said "Thank you, my beloved sister" in English, people would think you were being sarcastic - because no one speaks like that in English today, perhaps in the past, but not now.