If I purchase a stock on the ex-date, do I need to hold it until the date of record to receive the dividend?

Or can I sell it the same day and get the dividend?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If you purchase a stock on the X-date, you WILL NOT receive the dividend;

If you want to receive the dividend then you must purchase the stock BEFORE the X-Date, and if you do you can sell it on the X-date and still receive the dividend

Source(s): from the street
  • 8 years ago

The ex-dividend date is so named because it is the first day that the stock is trading "Excluding Dividend". You do NOT get the dividend if you buy that day.

To get a dividend, you have to buy the stock on or before the day before ex-div day.

On ex-div day, the stock prices adjusts downward for the div amount, but of course it can go up or further down from the opening bell.

• 8 years ago

you have to buy on or before the date and sell after the date...usually you make nothing as the stock price falls by the value of the dividend for a few days after the ex dividend date and may continue falling for a while afterward ...who knows

• Raysor
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Ex means 'without' so if you buy on the Ex date you won't get that dividend. You need to purchase before the Ex date then you get the dividend on the 'Pay' date. The date of record or Books Closed date is the date the registrar or transfer agent use to determine who to send the dividend to (not necessarily the person who is entitled to it).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

If you purchase on ex, you won't get the dividend.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.