Did I make ther right decision to attend SIU?

I will be attending Southern Illinois University, Carbondale in the fall. I am starting to rethink my decision because, I have cerebral palsy. I will bring my walker and scooter with me so I can get around the campus. When I visited the campus before I had a manual wheelchair and found it difficult to get in to most buildings, a few handicap buttons on the doors did not work. Also, the only way to get to the laundry room in my residence hall is down a flight of stairs, which I will probably have a hard time negotiating.

I was told that SIU is a very handicap accessible campus for the disabled. Is that really true? I am not "disabled enough" to qualify for an aide to help me while down there. I am hoping there will be some people willing to help me at least carry my things dow stairs.

Anyway, I am hoping someone who has attended SIU previously could give me some advice or ideas about navigating around the campus.

• DrIG
    Favorite Answer

Contact the school and inquire about the disrepair and other items. Also see if the school is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. There may also be a separate office in the school to handle disabilities./