on a lawn mower battery?

if you have a dead battery and put the charger on backwards will the positive become negative?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Applying incorrect polarity to a battery can potentially ruin both the charger AND the battery. Plus you run the risk of a fire if there aren't enough safety features in your charger unit such as a fuse or circuit breaker.

• 4 years ago

You say battery fine in mower however the alternator won't preserve the battery charged up when i have battery troubles i first go the ground wire be sure - + cable are tighten and in just right shape check the + wire from the alternator to battery just right shape and tight a volt meter will inform if vigor is coming from the alternator with the alternator no longer strolling battery volts must be about eleven-12 volt alternator walking will expand to thirteen-14 volts any jump in volts means alternator working hooking the volt tester to the - + publish of the battery if that you could take it vehicle components retailer they will tell you in a minute i think or take it again to sears i been browsing forty years and not using a complains

• 8 years ago

You will blow the battery up, get acid all over you and have a hospital bill. A new battery will be around $30.00. Depending on the cold crank amps.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

NO !! You will blow the battery up, get acid all over you and have a hospital bill. A new battery will be around $30.00. Depending on the cold crank amps.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Nope.

MOST chargers today will NOT even TRY to charge a battery backwards.

They simply spark and shut down until connected correctly.

• 8 years ago

No,and you run the risk of blowing up the battery.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It's already been made clear: don't try it, you'll probably have big regrets.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.