Is it hyperthyroidism?

Hi,

I had a blood test done 2 weeks ago.

My symptoms include:

palpitations... occasionally

fatigue, irritability

anxiety

feeling sick to my stomach when i dont want to hear something....

but my weight is normal... and doctors say i dont look like someone suffering from hyperthyroidism

Here is my result:

TSH: 1.360 ulU/ml (expected values: 0.4 - 4)

FT 3: 9.076 pg/ml (1.2 - 4.2)

FT 4: 27.92 pmoI/L (9.0 - 22.0)

Favorite Answer

Request a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) blood test, along with T4, T3, Free T4 and Free T3 tests.

Review your test results with the doctor.

Normal range is approximately 0.5 to 5.5. (However, as of Spring 2003, some experts are calling for the range to be revised to .3 to 3.0). If the TSH level is at the lower end of the range, or below the range, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.)

If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5.

If you had a high reading and a low TSH, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.

If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a high reading, and a high TSH, your doctor might look into a possible pituitary problem.

If your doctor ran a test called Free T4, or Free Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 0.7 to 2.0. If your result was greater than 2.0, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.

If your doctor ran a test called Total T3, normal range is approximately 80 to 220. If your result was greater than 220, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.

If your doctor ran a test called Free T3, normal range is approximately 2.3 to 4.2. If your result was greater than 4.2, your doctor might consider that indicative of hyperthyroidism.

If your test results come back 'normal' but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, make sure you ask for an antibodies test for Graves' Disease.

If your test results come back 'normal' but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, consider going to a reputable holistic M.D. or alternative physician for further interpretation and diagnosis.