Are my fingers sprained or dislocated?

I fell yesterday and kind of landed on my left hand. My pinky and ring fingers got the worst of it. I could move them, which led me to believe they weren't broken. However, about an hour after it happened, they began to swell, and after about 2 hours, the (intense) pain had begun to subside somewhat, but I could barely move my two fingers at all

It has now been ~15 hours since it happened. I have taped my fingers together and continued to put ice on them. Is this a bad sprain? Or something worse?

• CC
    Favorite Answer

It sounds like a sprain / soft tissue injury, but we aren't doctors here. We can only advise - and no one can truly diagnose you over the Internet, as I'm sure you know.

I would use RICE: rest, ice, compression, elevation. Keep your hand above your heart to keep the swelling down. Ice several times a day for 20 minutes. Use your hand as little as possible.

Only an x-ray can tell if something is broken, of course.

The day past i was on the trampoline, we had been tripping each and every other for fun when my buddy tripped me. I put out my arms to take a look at and discontinue my fall however my pinky bent all the manner again. I was once crying in affliction. Now my finger is swollen on the knuckle and i cant bend it backwards and it hurts after I bend it forwards. Also my bone is sticking out on the knuckle. My mom thinks its nothing so she would not need me to get it checked. I dont understand. Is it broken? Sprained? Or jammed? What will have to i do? PS we do not have ice.

Sprained, which means the muscles tightened up. I would never ice something that is already tight, it could add pain to the area once the feeling returns or keep the muscles tight longer if nothing else. Heat would be better to expand the muscles and freeing them back up is best but difficult to do with the fingers.