Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo MailAbuse and Spam · 8 years ago

Has Anybody Else Received These SCAM e-mails From Craigslist?

Has anyone that sells on Craigslist ever received an e-mail response from someone who's obviously trying to SCAM? For example, every so often when I sell on Craigslist, I'll get an e-mail from someone asking if the item is still available. Then when I reply and tell them YES, they send another e-mail saying something like this.........

"Thanks for the prompt response to my email. I will be buying it from

you so please kindly withdraw the advert . I will like to inform you

that i will pay you with a certified bank check and once you have the

check cashed at your bank then i will arrange for the pick up at your

place..I will need the following details to mail the payment as soon

as possible.

Name to be on the check

Home address

City, State,Zip Code

Cell phone"

That's a direct copy & paste from the actual e-mail I just received. I've received SEVERAL of these sort of e-mails from so-called Craigslist buyers. I grew wise to it after I started getting SO many that was WAY too similar. Sometimes the person claims to be out of town, and that they'll send someone to come pick it up. Or some other sort of rubbish. How stupid do they all think people are?

Also, they NEVER mention the item that you're selling in the e-mails they send. That's another dead giveaway. Fortunately I've never fallen for these tricks. I feel SO sorry for anybody who does.

Favorite Answer

Yes, I have gotten something like that, where they have a instant reply. And want the money first. I just don't reply and leave the item up on Craigslist.

Source(s): Almost same experience

Thanks for posting up that information on a scam.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.

Since that scammer intended to steal your money, he did not give you his real life information. All you have is one of his fake names, one of his free email addresses, one of his fake stories and one of his paid-for-in-cash cell phone numbers. None of that information is going to help your local law enforcement agency track down that anonymous scammer sitting in a cyber cafe half way around the world from you.

-------------------------

Asking for help

--------------------------

There are scam busting sites with online lists of the names scammers use, their email addresses, stock copy/paste emails, paid-for-in-cash cell phone numbers, stolen pictures and fake websites they use. You you could start your search at one of those sites.

If you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Everybody gets them. it doesn't matter what you are selling - scammers target every new listing